What's In The Box?

What's In The Box?

"Why are you asking me all these ridiculous questions?" Clary asked Jace as they waited on the first floor of the Institute for the elevator.

"Because I'm both equally curious and worried." Jace explained.

"If it was that serious, I would tell you so I'm not keeping secrets it's just not important." Clary said.

"But Clary, it's important to me." Jace answered as the elevator doors opened. They both stepped in and Clary pressed the up button.

"I know it's important to you." Clary commented.

"Then what are your dreams about?" Jace asked.

"Our wedding." Clary mumbled.

"What do you mean?" Jace said. Clary was hoping that Jace hadn't heard what she had said. She sighed and closed her eyes. When she opened them again the door to the elevators were still closed and Jace was stood in front of her. She knew he'd stopped the elevator on purpose because if those doors had opened Clary would've snuck away and not told Jace.

"When we were in Edom I had a dream about our wedding and Jonathan and the little sister I should've had, Val, were there. I keep having the dreams but they all link with each other. Each new dream starts when the last one ended. Me and Jonathan have conversations in the dreams. We both know that the dreams are just dreams but it makes me feel as if I'm having an actual conversation with the brother I should've had but was taken away from me." Clary explained, she could feel the tears building at the corners of her eyes.

"It's okay Clary, I get it," Jace whispered as he wrapped his arms around her. "If you don't want to get rid of the fainting episodes because of the dreams then you don't have to. Plus it's unlikely you'll have the fainting episodes again because we got rid of the bit of Heavenly Fire that was in you. It's okay."

"I know it is, it just annoys me that no one understands why I'd want to keep the dreams." Clary answered.

"No one needs to understand, they're your dreams." Jace commented as he pressed the stop button on the elevator. After a few odd sounds it started up again, a few seconds later the doors opened. Standing in front of them was Izzy.

"There's a package in the library for you." Izzy said turning to Clary.

"What do you mean? I didn't order anything. Plus if I did I'd never have it delivered to the Institute." Clary answered as her and Jace stepped out the elevator. Izzy turned her back on them and they started to follow.

"That's what's weird, it's literally just got your name on it. No return address, it hasn't got the Institute's address on it. Literally nothing but your name." Izzy explained as they all walked very hurriedly towards the library.

"How big is the package?" Jace asked.

"About yay big." Izzy answered estimating the size of the package. By the looks of things it looked about the size of a box that a dishwasher came in.

"Who delivered it?" Clary asked.

"That's also the issue; we don't know. Alec literally went looking for a book earlier and it was sat there in the middle of the library." Izzy said.

Jace and Clary shared a look of shock as they neared the library. Izzy pushed the doors open to reveal Alec, Magnus and Isaac stood around the box which was literally the size of a box that a dishwasher came in.

"Miss Morgenstern, I like clothes as much as the next warlock but isn't this order a bit extensive?" Magnus asked tapping the box with the cane he had in his hand. He'd changed out of his early outfit which had consisted of a pair of tight black jeans and the blue patterned blazer he'd worn on many occasion in many a colour. He was now wearing a full plum purple velvet suit with a lavender purple shirt on underneath. He was also wearing a skinny black tie, a pair of black shiny shoes, a black top hat along with the cane in his hand.

"I didn't order anything Magnus, trust me." Clary answered.

"Well would you like to open the package addressed to you which you did not order?" Magnus said making a space for Clary. Jace handed her the pocket knife that he always kept in his leather jacket. She flipped it open and stepped up to the box.

"Are you sure this is the cleverest idea?" Isaac asked just before Clary pierced the tape holding the top of box together.

"Look we're only going to figure out what's in the box by opening the box." Jace said.

"Am I opening the box or not?" Clary asked.

"Yes!" Everyone said exasperated as if they needed to know what was in the box more than Clary.

Wearily she pierced the tape and started to slice it down the middle. When the tape was completely cut Clary took a few deep breaths before taking the corners of the box in her hands. Everyone took a step closer as if they were about to see the greatest thing in the world. Clary took another deep breath and opened the box.

"What's all that?" Izzy asked.

"Tissue paper, it's used to cover presents up etc," Alec commented. "Ouch."

Clary looked over at the Lightwood siblings to see Izzy drawing her hand away from Alec who was holding his arm.

"You've got to take the tissue paper off Miss Morgenstern." Magnus said.

"Thank you for the tip Magnus." Clary remarked and took the crisp white tissue paper between her fingers. Slowly she peeled it off.

"That's wrapping paper there Iz." Clary heard Alec comment.

"Shut up." Izzy hissed.

Clary took one of the packages out of the box. It was wrapped in brown paper tied up with white string. Clary ran the string through her fingers a minute and then pulled it so it fell off the package. Slowly and tidily Clary unwrapped the package.

"Clary it's gorgeous," Izzy sighed as the shimmery red slip of a dress sat in Clary's lap. "Where did you get it?"

"I don't know, I really didn't order it." Clary answered taking another brown paper package out of the box.

She carefully opened the package again as if she was trying to preserve the paper.

"Miss Morgenstern, I have a feeling that your closet is about to get a revamp." Magnus commented as Clary pulled out a pair of black leather trousers that's when it half clicked. Who had sent the present. How they had sent it was another mystery all together....