Chapter 3

"You're telling me that you were just conveniently around when Lizzie collapsed?" Eloise questioned Tom whilst Hazel was busy keeping him cornered.

"That's exactly what I'm saying," Tom argued, standing close to Hazel in attempt to make her move. When she didn't budge, he pushed on her shoulder lightly and she stepped backwards, "I care for her, can't you tell?"

"I'll tell you what I can tell, Riddle," Eloise said threateningly, "I can tell that you're a liar. I can tell that you had something to do with this!"

"Ask the matron. I was unwell and seeked the medicine," Tom said defensively, featuring a hand towards the matron who was busy preparing further antidotes for Elizabeth.

"Ah, it is a pleasure to see both you here."

All three of the students turned to the door where Headmaster Dippet stood, authority thick in the atmosphere.

"Headmaster," the two girls greeted, bowing slightly. Tom didn't say anything, he just turned his gaze to Elizabeth, moved to her bedside and held her hand, trying to look at her as convincingly as he could.

"Could I have a word with Mr Riddle?" The headmaster asked politely. The two nodded and left, not without glaring at Tom first.

"Mr Riddle," Dippet said calmly, "I have received your story from the matron. You are positive that is what happened, yes?"

"Yes, headmaster. I-... I feel so awful. I couldn't let her take it from me just in case this happened, so I fought with her, but she..."

"No worries, Tom," Dippet replied, a small smile on his lips, "If you didn't intend to hurt her, there is no reason to feel so awful. I am sure she will be distraught that she got herself into this mess when she awakens."

"She got herself into this mess?" Tom repeated, giving the headmaster a look of disbelief, "Professor, I'm afraid that's quite the accusation. It was my fault."

"Very well," the headmaster grumbled. He walked out swiftly, robes floating behind him like clouds in the sky.

Tom pulled his hand away from Elizabeth's, staring at her in disgust. He held his hands together. They were warm.

He tutted at himself as he stared at the matron who was piling the last of the potions into vials. She rushed in Tom's direction and began to force them down Elizabeth's throat as quickly as she could.

"Matron, would you like me to do that? You must be awfully busy," Tom intersected, eyeing the potions.

"Oh, would you? Thank you, dear!" She said, passing them to Tom without thinking twice and wandering off to tend to other patients.

Tom leaned over Elizabeth, one hand holding her mouth open as gently as he could and the other pouring the thick, sticky liquids down her throat one by one.

She began to cough. Tom knew from experience to prop her up and rub her back lightly, and as much as he didn't want to do so, he knew she'd probably choke otherwise.

Elizabeth's brown eyes shot open and they ached at the excessive white colours coating the room. Why were hospitals and places of healing white?

She began to groan when she finally realised someone was tracing circles on her back with the tips of their fingers. She turned to see Tom, who gave her a blank expression.

"Yes?" He asked as she didn't say anything.

"Why are you touching me?" Elizabeth questioned, giving him a look of pure dislike.

"You were about to choke," he said, removing his hand instantly, "You should be thanking me."

"By rubbing my back like you're my boyfriend? Yeah, that's totally how you stop someone from choking."

Tom hushed her, lowering his mouth to her ear, "For reasons I can't explain here, the matron thinks I'm in love with you. So if you'd kindly save my life like I saved yours, that'd be fantastic."

"You did what?!" Elizabeth yelled, earning a chorus of 'shut up''s from several patients and the healer herself.

"Considering my charming traits and looks, you should pretend to love me too."

Elizabeth's cheeks went red, with embarrassment or fury no one will ever know.

"Shut up, Riddle!" She whisper-yelled this time, pushing his chest harshly, "I don't need your help."

"You do," he retorted placidly, "You'd be dead otherwise."

"Will you stop reminding me?" Elizabeth groaned, laying back down and suspiring shallowly, "At this rate, I'd rather be."

As if a switch was hit inside of Tom, he suddenly got mad. He stood up instantly, towering over the frowning girl. He almost shouted, "Don't ever say that!"

Elizabeth shook her head at him, "It's your fault anyway, Riddle. If you weren't into such dark stuff..."

She trailed off, knowing better than to continue insulting Tom Riddle. If he'd found a piece of such dark magic, who knew what else he knew about?

"If I weren't into such dark stuff..." Tom mumbled.

"It's nothing," Elizabeth defended, pretending she hadn't said it in the first place, "I didn't mean it."

"Okay," Tom said. "I can leave now."

With that he left before Elizabeth could argue. He felt cold and empty.

But for Tom Riddle, that was nothing unusual.