Three

The next day Ashton wasn't at school. He seemed fine yesterday at my house. Where could he be? Was he sick? Did he make it home okay? I was worried. Then I remembered I had his number. I pulled out my phone.
To Ash:
Hey, it's Luke. Are you okay?
No answer.
The more time passed, I could feel my worry build and build. At lunch I met Calum and Michael at our usual table.
"Have you heard from him?" Calum asked.
"No. I've texted him a few times. He just doesn't answer." I responded.
"I'm sure he's fine." Michael smiled.
He was right. Ashton would be fine. At least I hoped he was..

- - - - - - - - -

The next day I hoped Ashton would be there. I was worried because he still didn't answer me the day before and I had a feeling something was wrong.
To Ash:
Are you here today?
No reply.
I began to get angry. Why wasn't he answering me? Had I done something wrong? I walked into the lunchroom and sat down with Calum and Michael, but no Ashton.
"Where is he!?" I hit my fist on the table.
"He's going to be okay Lu- oh! He's here!" Calum said.
I turned around to see Ashton walking in with his head down. He walked right past us and sat at the table I first met him at. He put his head down and didn't move. I looked to Calum and Michael and they nodded. I walked over to where they boy was sitting. When I sat down he didn't move.
"Ashton." I said.
He didn't look up.
"Ashton." I said again.
He kept his head down but waved at me.
"Ashton what's the matter?"
He shook his head no.
"Ashton, please look at me."
He pulled something from his pocket and his hand moved around. Then he pushed the notepad to me.
Nothing Luke I'm fine
"Then why won't you look at me?" I asked.
Ever so slowly he raised his head. When he looked at me I gasped. On the left side of his face, Ashton had the biggest, darkest bruise I had ever seen. He also had a cut lip.
"Ashton." I whispered.
He looked down again.
"Who did this to you?"
He shook his head.
"We aren't leaving this spot until you tell me." I said.
Austin  he wrote.
"Who is that?" I asked.
The same boy who pushed me into the lockers
He looked at me and his eyes flashed bright blue. The most beautiful blue I had ever seen. It was indescribable. He looked at me with nothing but pure sadness. I loved the color but I was going to do everything in my power to never see that color again.