Chapter Six

"Somewhere where nobody will find us," he stated as he walked at a quiet, yet rapid pace.

Many things raced through Elizabeth's mind as she rounded the corridor with Tom. Their wands were the only thing to illuminate the hall, causing an occasional yelp from a portrait.

Why is he going so far into the castle?

What will he want to learn?

Why does he want to learn this?

These thoughts swirled through her head, pounding her brain in her skull. She suddenly stopped in the middle of the dark corridor, for she had become overwhelmed at the idea of being out this late. Tom had kept walking, turning a corner.

I could go back, he wouldn't notice, and by the time I'm back in my dormitory, it'll be too late, she thought. Elizabeth looked behind her. It was as equally dark and never-ending as the hall in front of her.

She had never broken the rules before and she never had intended to. "Nox," she whispered and the light from the tip of her wand faded into nothing. Her eyes slowly adjusted to the murky outlines of the corridor. The Slytherin Common Room was not far. Elizabeth turned on her heels and raced back around the corner. She decided she would never tell Tom Riddle anything. She didn't know why she had decided it.

Her stomach twisted and turned as her walk turned into a full on sprint. The wand she was holding became sweatily gripped in her hand. She breathed heavily and stopped, leaning against a wall to catch her breath. Tom hadn't followed her and the only thing she could see were the small lights shining up the stairs, that she indeed knew was leading to the Common Room. Her heart raced against her chest as she darted down the stairs, not daring to look behind her. She heard footsteps coming down the stairs, shortly after she had shakily pleaded the password to the door, which opened slowly. Elizabeth slid her body through the opening and ran down the stairs, pushing open the door to her dormitory and slamming it back.

Her heart pounded inside of her body. She hadn't been that terrified in her life. Why had just another student at her school made her so terrified? Why did she get the feeling that he enjoyed her fear?

-

"Oh come on, Wal, it's gorgeous," Matilda complimented the tight, dark purple dress that was on her friend's body.

Walburga turned to the mirror so that her rear was the main focus. "It isn't tight enough, near my bum. It makes me look as if I'm as old and saggy as Dippet," she groaned and trudged back into the dressing room.

"You look absolutely wonderful in everything," Melissa commented.

"I need to find the perfect dress for the Christmas Ball," she whined from inside the dressing room.

"Speaking of, who are you going with?" Matilda asked.

Walburga's voice turned as equally sharp and pointy as her nose, "What's it to you?"

"Just wondering," she murmured and resided in twiddling her thumbs.

After a while, she spoke up again, "What about you, Beth?" Walburga emerged from the room in a flowing red dress that looked splendid on her.

Elizabeth hadn't thought about it. She wasn't close to any boys besides Joshua, yet. She'd talked with Pevlos a couple of times, but she knew he'd accompany Melissa. "I don't think I'll be attending, actually," she resorted to not going.

"No, Beth," Walburga whined again and pulled her friend up out of the wooden chair and shoved a dress in her face. "Try this on; you are going," she demanded and pushed Elizabeth into the small room.