Chapter 4

For once, Elizabeth was happy that she wasn't top of the class. Due to the fact that everyone was always starstruck by Tom, she didn't have to worry about too many people finding about the accident.

Everyone flocked around Tom, asking where he'd been for the past three days. Of course, he had been in the castle but he hadn't left the hospital wing once.

"I was visiting someone in the hospital wing, you see," he told them, trying to make a path to his next class, Charms. Elizabeth wasn't far behind him.

"Who?" A herd of the girls who followed him consistently kept asking. Tom smirked at this.

"A friend," he replied to each and every one. He always stopped responding after they began to ask more absurd questions.

Elizabeth watched as he took a seat right next to where she was going to sit. He knew this. He did it on purpose. So, she purposely sat next to him.

"Hello, Miss Marin," he said teasingly, "Or shall I call you Elizabeth?"

"If you wish to call me by my first name, it's Lizzie," she corrected him, then added, "Tom."

He gave her a slightly amused look before turning back to his notes, glancing over them quickly before turning his attention to Professor Flitwick.

"Today, class," he grinned, clapping his hands together vigorously and looking around the room, "We will be learning how to make teacups grow legs!"

He lifted the teacups to each desk with 'Wingardium Leviosa'. Tom and Elizabeth had identical ones, and the look they shared declared this war.

After Flitwick stopped speaking, they both rushed to make them grow legs. Sure enough, Tom beat Elizabeth. But karma came for him when his teacup ran away and smashed to the ground.

"Oh, Mr Riddle!" Flitwick said, lifting the shards with his wand, "It's a shame he ran off, isn't it?"

"Yes, Professor," Tom replied emotionlessly, clearly not caring. As Flitwick was lifting up the pieces one by one, Tom whispered, "Reparo." The shards cleaned themselves up instantly and the teacup was gently placed back on Tom's desk by his own doing.

"Why, what a smart idea..." Flitwick mumbled to himself before turning away to tend to the other students.

"Good work," Elizabeth commented, making Tom feel an emotion he wasn't used to - shock.

"What?" He asked.

Elizabeth frowned at him, "Good work. You don't get it? You did-"

"I know I did well but you never notice that," he said quickly, turning back to his notes and copying the incantation onto the page several times.

He stared at his handwriting which was inevitably beautiful and incredibly neat for a few seconds before looking back up and seeing Elizabeth writing a shorter page of notes.

"You know," he started to say, his eyes trailing back to his paper, "It helps to do it like this."

He gestured to his work. Elizabeth scoffed, making a remark about how everyone learns differently.

"If everyone worked my way, perhaps they would be more intelligent," Tom stated proudly, tapping his book with his fingertips.

"You know, Tom, there are few people in this year as intelligent as you - few, but there are some. You only get the most recognition because you're the idealistic student," Elizabeth replied, giving him a look of pure hatred before handing in her essay, which was homework from last lesson, and stormed out.

Meanwhile, Tom gave his paper a look of confusion. He wasn't used to students standing up against him - people were either complete fans of him or were too terrified to do anything like what Elizabeth had done.

His curiousity about her had risen once again.