LIX - Annihilation

This chapter brings on the feels. :')

The song for this one is "Bring Me To Life" by Extreme Music. I absolutely adore this song, and often find myself thinking of Elijah and Roseia (Rolijah) when I listen to it. ^_^

Enjoy. ^_^

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Fifty-Nine

I saw a group of drummers dressed in white making their way down the stairs. From the looks on everyone's faces, no one was expecting this. Not even Genevieve. Not even Klaus.

The lead drummer began to speak, and everyone went silent.

"Happy Fête des Bénédictions! We have a message for all of you, from Marcel Gerard," he said, and the murmurs echoed in the air.

And with that, the drummers all pulled out pocket knives from their pockets, and sliced open their wrists.

The blood began to pour out, and almost every vampire in the room now had red eyes as they hissed and attempted to stay still.

Elijah went forwards, and as he spoke, I felt eyes on me. "You will control yourselves!" He told them. "This is a vulgar trick. We do not violate our agreement!"

I felt his eyes lingering on me, and I turned to look at him. Diego. He was thinking about the night I saved him. The night that I fed him my blood, which was most likely some of the best he had ever tasted. That fact was made obvious when the veins appeared under his eyes.

The lights went out, and I knew that I was right.

The air echoed with the screams of the humans and witches being attacked. I barely even heard it over the ringing in my ears.

I saw someone go for Hayley and knock her down, only to see that it was Diego and four other hungry-looking vampires. They must have had a craving for werewolf blood.

I ran at them all, snapping two vampires' necks. Two others came towards me, and I quite literally threw them away at a wall like they were rag dolls. I was about to deal with Diego too when I felt his teeth sink into my neck.

The lights flashed on, and I let out a low growl when Diego attempted at restraining me by wrapping his arms around my biceps and my wrists with a strength that I didn't even know he had. rendering my arms practically useless.

I snarled when I felt the blood leave my body at a quicker pace, and I was about to try and kicked back and break his lower leg in an attempt to make him let me go. I stopped and gasped when I felt his teeth sink deeper, and almost screamed when I felt him tear open my jugular. He could bleed me out within seconds now.

Diego's head was suddenly ripped away from my throat. I quickly placed a hand over the quickly bleeding wound, and I realized that it was Elijah who had helped me. He had snapped Diego's neck and thrown him to the side.

"Are you alright?" He asked, his eyes filled with a mixture of worry and fear as he pulled his handkerchief from his breast pocket. He removed my hand and pressed the handkerchief over the wound.

To be honest, I was shocked at how well he kept himself under control.

"Yes. I'm alright. Thank you," I said, then looked to Hayley. "They didn't bite you, did they?" I asked, gesturing to the four vampires I had just taken care of while I looked over at her.

She shook her head. "No, no... Thanks, Rose. That doesn't look good."

"Don't worry," I said, feeling the wound begin to heal. "It'll be gone in a minute."

"He won't get away with this," Klaus said angrily, moving slightly closer to Hayley and glancing at the cut on her forehead worriedly.

"No," Elijah growled. "He won't."

I saw it for only a split second. His eyes turned red with dark veins shooting out from under them. He was angry. The self control that he almost always had was no longer existent.

And with that, Elijah was gone.

*

I didn't really figure out what he had done until that night when he came back with blood covering his right hand. It was a distinct scent, I knew that much. It was Thierry.

"You really were angry, weren't you?" I asked him as he came into the library. He had washed the blood off, but I knew whose heart he had taken out. The scent continued to linger in the air.

"I still am," he said.

I turned to face him, putting the book back on the shelf. "Why did you go after them? We will kill them all eventually."

He stayed quiet for a moment, then moved from his spot leaning against the door frame to walk over to me. "I went after him because he hurt you."

"Elijah, I'm fine. I healed, it's no big deal. Just a little bite."

"Believe me, it means a great deal to me," he said, placing his hand on my neck and running his fingers over the spot that Diego had bitten. His skin left tingles when it went over mine. He moved his hand away, then looked me in the eyes. "I will always protect you, Rose."

I smiled softly at him. "Thank you, Elijah, but I don't need protecting. You know that."

He nodded, smiling back at me. "I am well aware. But that doesn't mean I won't avenge you when you have been wronged. Or kill anyone that lays a hand on you," he told me. "Because I care about you too."

I looked down at my feet, and I bit my lip. "Hey, Elijah..."

"Yes?"

"What were you and Nik fighting about earlier?"

He pursed his lips, and his hands clutched the balcony railing so hard that his already pale knuckles turned a stark shade of white. I could see the anger sparking in his eyes, even though he refused to look at me.

"Elijah, please tell me. I hate it when you two fight," I frowned.

"We fought about you," he said.

My mouth dropped open. Why the hell would they fight about me? "What? Why?"

"Because, whether you realize it or not, his thirst for power and to be king of the city is exactly what brought this on you. What he did to Marcel and his vampires is what made Marcel act out. It's what made that idiotic imbecile attack you. You could have died if any of the other vampires had smelled your blood, seeing how, and believe me when I say this, it is incredibly enticing. Diego could have drained you of blood tonight," he seemed to realize that he was ranting, but didn't care. He gritted his teeth as he continued. "And it's all Klaus' fault."

I had never seen him so angry. I didn't know what to say.

"Elijah, I can look after myself. I wouldn't have died, you know that."

"That doesn't matter!" he argued. "His actions ended with you being attacked! Attacked, Rose! And he didn't even attempt to stop it. He went to Hayley."

"Why didn't you?!" I shouted back at him. "She is much more important! Think of her child, Elijah! Why didn't you help her instead?"

"Because!"

"Because why?!"

"Because I-" he pursed his lips, the anger and adrenaline suddenly fading. "Because I care about you too. And it killed me to see you in danger."

My lips parted at the way he spoke, but not a single word came out of my mouth. What the hell was I supposed to say to that?

"I know how horrible this sounds, but I would be lying to you if I said that Hayley and her child's safety was the first thing on my mind," he paused, then swallowed. "Perhaps that makes me more of a monster than I already am, but I will not stand by while Diego harms you."

I stayed completely silent, and he stayed watching me for a second before turning towards the doorway.

"And, Roseia..." He said, looking at me over his shoulder. "If he ever lays a finger on you again, I will annihilate him.