eighteen // fifth rule

WARNING: There will be some triggering content in this chapter, so before reading please be aware of this!

~*~

THE PARTY IS IN FULL swing when we get there. People are milling around, laughing and hugging each other around the fire as they say their greetings. Others are on a small platform, dancing to an obnoxious pop song which I can't remember the name of. All I remember is that it's about sex and being too drunk to know what you're doing.

I allow Luke to pull me through the crowd, surprised by how many people he actually knows. It seems like people want to be acquainted with the hot new blonde haired Australian, even though he belongs exclusively to me.

I feel angry with myself. I never considered myself being the overly-possessive, keep-your-hands-off-my-man type of girlfriend, but as three quarters of the party's female population look at Luke with their jaws dropped and eyes bulging, I one, felt incredibly pissed off, which two, angered me even more, resulting in three, me wanting to ram their heads against a wall. Multiple times.

When I felt like I was going to explode from my internal anger, Luke would bend down, kiss my cheek, and whisper about what,he'd give to be alone with me. It took me longer than it should've to realise why, but when I do, my cheeks flush and my body fills with heat at the possibilities.

"Hey, guys!" Bryony waves us over to where she sits with Josh, at a table that is at the far end of the bonfire. Better than being next to a dumpster, I suppose.

"Hi," we say as we sit down, with me pressed firmly against Luke. People are milling around us, trying to get a glimpse at the new kids. Bryony doesn't seem bothered by it - she is revelling in the attention. Josh, however, is a different story.

I turn my attention to him. "Are you okay?" I would ask, a smile lighting my lips.

"Yeah, I'm not really good at parties. You?" He returns my smile. Josh was the type of guy who should have girls falling all over him - he was sweet, charming, and occasionally funny. Apparently, the kids in this school were so blinded by the social hierarchy that outcasts never really held any significance to them.

"I'm fine," I say, trying to reassure myself more than I was him. Why do I have a feeling that something is going to happen?

I feel Luke shift beside me, and I look up at him with a quirked brow. "What's your poison?" I giggle the sort of giggle that made me feel pathetic.

"Surprise me, darlin'," I say with a smirk, adding a southern twang to my voice.

Luke laughs and pushes himself up, pressing his lips to my head before following Michael and Ashton to the bar.

"So," Bryony says, reaching over the table. "How long have you and Luke been together?"

I should shrug, because technically we've been together for longer than I've been alive, but shrugging might cause suspicion. So, I clasp my hands in my lap, and give her smile that I hope reaches my eyes. "A while," I say, wiping my hands off on my shorts. It's not really a lie, but I'll have to interrogate Luke later for the specifics. "It feels longer than it's actually been."

"Ah," is her reply. She smiles at me. Bryony has a nice smile, though it does scare me a little. I notice Calum staring at her.

Before I can question him, Luke, Michael and Ashton come back with the drinks. Luke sits down next to me, setting a red plastic cup in front of me. He drapes his arm over my shoulders, leaning into my ear to whisper, "drink it," in a seductive voice.