(v) - 'I hate humans. They're so irritating, with all their feelings.'

"Leave me alone, leave me alone, leave me alone."

Feet pounding pavement, pounding inside my head. I could taste my own blood. God, I wasn't really that unfit, was I?

Cain, in that instant, re-appeared on the path beside me; he was no longer smiling maliciously, but instead, had a look of mild irritation. Oh, wonderful, I was pissing off the demon boy.

"I can't," he said for the first time, now, looking as though it pained him to admit it. "Do you honestly think that I'd rather spend my time in this dump, babysitting a teenage girl who doesn't read the shit she's signing and blames me for her own stupidity? Really, Andrea?"

"Would you not call me that, please? My name is Andi."

The Figment arched a sooty eyebrow. Dickhead.

"Are you serious?"

"If this is even going to work, I suggest you call me that."

"This doesn't work, Andrea," he scoffed, and I could feel my cheeks flaming red despite myself. What was this ability to make me feel like a five-year-old all about? "What I'm here to do is make sure you keep your end of the contract. And maybe dispense with you several decades earlier than intended so that I can piss off out of here."

"You're a psychopath, d'you know that--?"

"I hate humans," he was moaning now, ignoring me and keeping pace alongside the road. "They're so irritating, with all their feelings."

"You're human." There was a pause, and the side of his top lip lifted in a smirk, showing glinting white teeth; and I felt a shiver run through me. Ew, gross.

"Am I?"

"Yes," I answered stubbornly, walking back towards the hospital entrance. "I refuse to believe otherwise." And it was the only thing that would make sense – Cain Avery couldn't be some kind of devil spawn, he just couldn't. He was very adapt at climbing in through windows, and... and suffocating people, but....

"That's a very silly decision on our part, Andrea."

"I've been through this, freak. There is no we, there is no our, there is only Andi, and a stupid, creepy boy who's going to leave me alone, right now."

"Wishing this away isn't going to work, you know." Cain gave a hefty sigh, seeming almost... weary of me. And admittedly, I took offense to that. He was the one who was being weird and obsessive, and.. "Go back up and see your mother, then. I'm hungry, and these scrubs are going to get me into the break room."

"G'way yourself," I mumbled in reply, half-hearted, and tracked over to the elevator just across from the automatic doors. There was just enough time for me to plaster a smile back on my face, before I went to find August again.

*

"Stop singing. Stop singing – Jesus Christ, Figment."

"Nuh-uh. Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb –"

"Would you at least pick something that's less distracting," I hissed, chewing on the top of my pencil. There was no saving the poor rubber, it was already mutilated to a pulp. "I have homework. As in, due-tomorrow homework-"

"Mary had a little lamb, whose fleece was dyed red with the blood of her victims."

"For God's sake, that didn't even rhyme." I kicked off the back wall, away from my desk, and rubbed at the circles underneath my eyes. "Please. Change the tune, asshole."