In My Hands

I'm glad Melody is so understanding, she's one of my favorites. Mainly because in the past I never had much to do with her. I Still tense up whenever I see someone from then... And I've been doing this for, how many years? I still don't understand time... I've learned a little, like hours, minutes, and seconds in correlation to the suns position, but years? No clue how those work. Even my age, I know I've been around for "centuries", I've seen it all. But jumping from universe to universe makes those things a little confusing. The only reason I can say I'm "27" is because one day a customer asked how old I was and I told them to guess. They guessed 23 and I panicked so I just said, "How'd you know!". In regards to my date of birth, one time Candy and Grenda asked when my birthday was and on that day I said "this Saturday" and from then on my birthday's been March 26th. Every year they've given me presents, tiny cone hats, and a sash that reads "It's my 24th,25th, 26th, 27th Birthday!" I'm thankful for them or my human façade would have been shattered a long time ago. 

While I was busy wallowing in my pit of despair the morning rush came along, despite the rain. Man, my mind really has been boggled. Going from thinking about them, to dealing with Mason, realizing I have no friends, the fact I'm still struggling with being human, and that I can't stop thinking about Mason, I feel like I don't know myself anymore. 

After the morning my day resumed to how it always was. The crowds, chatter, and music all filled the café, as it should. It storm only grew worse outside, causing a lot of people to come in at once to ride it out. It was packed. It almost started to make me anxious. The storm let up for a little and everyone grabbed their shoes and ran out as quick as they could. 

Finally.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I do. But I just wanted to run away from today. It's been too much for me. I started my closing time routine. I locked the door and flicked off the neon "Welcome" sign. The main floor lights shut off so the only source of illumination were the holiday lights that were strung all along where the wall hits the ceiling. I grabbed all of the blankets and towels and put them in a laundry basket to take with me when I retired upstairs. I emptied all the machines and made sure to clean them. I Febrezed all of the fabric furniture and cleaned the keys of the piano. When I finally turned to go upstairs I noticed the bookshelf. 

I never did see what he wrote... 

My curiosity got the better of me and I broke my routine, again. Did I really want to look? It's not like I'll die if I don't, but then again I won't die if I do. I reached for the book, but I had to stop midway because of the man banging on my door. 

What the actual...

I quickly unlocked the door and let the man in. 

I was embarrassed, like I had been caught committing a public sexual act, except that wasn't the case at all. My embarrassment turned into anger, "Hey! What the hell! I know it's storming again but we're closed and at that rate you're going to break my door!" 

The man pulled his hood off his head and shook his hair out, "Wouldn't be the first time."

Thank you universe for this timing. Most the lights are off so thankfully he can't see me blushing like crazy. 

"Are you insane! What's wrong with you! What the hell are you doing out in the middle of a storm!" 

He laughed, wiped the water off his hoodie and took off his shoes, "Well since I was visiting family I've fallen behind in my work. I have a deadline to meet and I need to be up for a while. I needed some good caffeine, and I figured I'd just come back. I didn't know you closed this early..." he trailed off, probably trying to say my name, but realizing he didn't know it.