Chapter 8

Dipper sat at the dinner table, tired from the long day's work. His collection of cash paid off Wendy's debt already, with a couple bucks to spare. It still wasn't enough to fulfil the goal Bill's set for him, though. That would take much more. Speaking of Bill . . . Dipper frowned, not having heard a word from the triangle since his dream. He had awoken rather shocked, remembering that Bill wasn't yet human and that the entire siren thing had been a dream. A wacky, extreme, slightly infuriating dream. He was only a bit suspicious as to why Bill would pull that stunt off but the feelings of reliance and friendliness were radiating strongly from his foggy memories. He could say that even though he was tricked he still trusted the demon. Maybe the dream was his way to prove that he cared. Hopefully it'd really be so.

Mabel sat down next to him, a bag of gummies in her hands. He flashed her a smile, waiting for Grunkle Stan to bring the food.

Did you like your dream? Bill asked, appearing back in his head. Stan brought over the plates with food; it might be slightly burnt but it wasn't horrible. He handed the plates to Dipper and Mabel.

Dipper dug his fork into the plate of food, only half surprised that Bill decided to show up just then. Swallowing a not-so-tasty morsel, the brown-haired boy wondered how to answer the question. If you mean to ask if I enjoyed it, it's a partial answer, really, he said in response. Having my friends and family in imminent danger isn't what I'd call fun, but I did like the adventure. And you taught me a cool spell. So, yeah, maybe. Taking another bite and chewing thoughtfully, he chose to say what he'd been dying to mention since the dream. I appreciate you showing me the more heroic side of you, but I'd rather you not do it by tricking me into believing I'm awake anymore. I know what your human form should look like. Anything you do in my mind looking like him is only going to confuse me. So could you please keep to your triangle self? I would like to know when I'm dreaming. It's just . . . please.

Yeah, yeah. Fine. I was having fun though. But I'll keep to the triangle form. Plus I'm more powerful as a triangle anyway. Way more spells I can do easier than in human form, Bill said. And I know you are interested in magic.

Thanks, Dipper sighed, although quiet enough that Mabel didn't notice. As long as I know I'm dreaming then I won't mind doing things like that again. Except, could you try leaving my family out of it next time? I'll still be entertaining to you; I promise. He cleaned up half his plate, not paying any attention to his twin and Stan.

Fine. I do still need entertainment so you'd better think of another idea that is fun!

Stan stared at Dipper, noticing the kid was very quiet and seemed to be deep in thought. He wondered what the boy could be thinking about.

Well, I can try . . . Dipper glanced up by chance, blinking at seeing his great uncle looking at him so intently. "Grunkle Stan?" he started, having a nervous suspicion that he had heard his conversation with Bill, although he knew it was impossible. "Am I . . . uh . . . should I be doing something right now?"

Mabel punched him playfully in the shoulder, interjecting before Stan could speak, "Yeah, you should be making yourself presentable for the sleepover!"

He blanched. That's today. I forgot. How did I forget? "Mabel, I'm not going to be there for that. Those are your friends."

She rolled her eyes with a disbelieving smile. "You're coming one way or another, bro-face. We're gonna give you relationship advice! Help you with your crush!"

"I don't have a crush!"

The brunette didn't lose her smile. "Step three: Denial. You're getting far in this! Wow, Dipper! I'm impressed!"