Chapter Six

Johan slumped to the ground, his body saggy and limp and I struggled against the strains of the vampire who was holding me back.

"Let me go you asshole," I growled, but to no avail. Getting out of a vampire's iron grip was about as easy as lifting a five foot boulder - not going to happen.

"That's enough Chin," the leader standing behind me muttered to the vampire who had just drained my friend dry. So Chin was his name? I added it to my pretty short list of vampires I wanted to kill. Also, I refrained from letting out a snort.

What was it with vampires and weird names?

"We need to leave anyway," Nox continued and just like that he released me from his grip and started walking away, calmly stepping over the dead body of Johan, and "accidentally" connecting his foot with Johan's head as he went over. Not that he seemed to notice, or care which was more likely. I, however, was seething with anger.

If they wanted me dead then why on earth hadn't they just killed me yet? You're a witch Emily think about it; you must be valuable to them, a tiny voice in the back of my head uttered. Valuable? Valuable how?

Somehow I didn't want to think about that.

But how on earth could I be a witch? I heard they flew on broomsticks and waved wands around in black robes. Okay, that was from an old book, but still.

Then how do you explain the blue light sprouting from your hands? Not exactly normal, the voice in my head continued and I shut my eyes tight to make it go away. I didn't really have time to converse an internal discussion with myself at this point in time.

I hadn't even thought about running from these three lunatics, simply because I knew it would be no good to try, so when Chin, my friend's killer came over and grabbed hold of me in an iron grip I made no attempt to struggle. I was doomed regardless. He nudged me forward as he started walking, following the steps of Nox who had practically disappeared into the darkness, but it was no problem for the other vampires to follow him, given their keen eyesight. Nifty. I stumbled after him, trying to keep my footing in the pitch black.

The anger raging inside of me seemed to subside as we walked away from the bodies of my friends. I couldn't even cry for them. I felt numb all over. It was a miracle that I could make my legs work, but then that might have been because of Chin, who had my arms in a grip behind my back, pushing me forward.

However, I had learned to cut off my feelings a long time ago, beginning with when my mother, on her deathbed had told me to stay strong and survive, and I knew that meant not letting emotions and love cloud your survival instincts. It turned you weak and weaknesses got you killed.

We didn't walk very far and when I squinted my eyes I could make out a shape in front of us, the moon overhead bathed our surroundings in a silvery shine, but it wasn't until we got a lot closer that I saw what it was - a vehicle.

The large square that was classified as a van was parked at the curb on the street, and I calculated that we wouldn't have been able to hear it with the distance there was from here to the house we had taken refuge in.

I knew they made noise, but I hadn't actually ever seen one that worked, though the streets were scattered with plenty that didn't.

The side of the van slid open when the last remaining vampire whose name I didn't know, gripped a handle and pulled the door aside.

Nox had already gotten into the passenger seat in the front and Chin forcefully shoved me into the back before getting in with me. Great. I couldn't even be left alone in here.

"Sit down bitch," Chin growled at me as he took a seat on the opposite side of me. I scowled at him in the darkness of the van, but no doubt could he see it because he sneered at me and leaned forward. I scrambled into the seat behind me, not wanting the reek of his bloody breath anywhere close to me.