Chapter 47

Cupid puts the phone back into his jeans pocket and climbs out of the car

Cupid puts the phone back into his jeans pocket and climbs out of the car. He walks over to my door and opens it.

"You sure you want to do this?" he says - peering in at me.

I nod.

"The Arrows tried to shoot me, they turned my best friend into one of them, and there are more of them coming?!" I say "I'm in. This affects me and I want to know what's going on."

I step out of the Aston Martin without looking at him but I can feel his eyes on me as I start to walk towards the Matchmaking Service.

I can't believe how much has happened since I was last here.

Cupid looks down at me and a strange smile forms on his lips.

"What?!" I ask.

He shakes his head.

"You've had the strangest week ever. You could have just run away. But you're here," he says incredulously "There's something special about you Lila. You're not like I expected..."

I raise an eyebrow.

"...in a good way," he says shrugging.

"Well from the dramatic build up from Cal - you're not much like I expected either," I say - rolling my eyes.

Cupid nods.

"That's my brother for you..."

"Guys- I'm right here..." interjects the Matchmaking Agent gruffly from over Cupid's shoulder.

I grin.

"Sorry Cal."

I look back up at Cupid and frown.

"Who is the founder of the Matchmaking Service?" I ask "Selena said they would take over if we were..you know..."

"Matched?" says Cupid with a sly grin.

I nod, feeling a flush of colour in my cheeks.

His eyes burn into mine for a moment and he says nothing.

Then he waves his hand dismissively and drags his gaze away.

"Won't happen," he says "The founder is gone. People need to stop worrying about it."

Suddenly Cal reaches out and grabs his brother's arm. He pulls him around so that they are looking at one another. I stop abruptly in my path and turn to stare at them. A look of shocked amusement crosses my match's face.

"Brother?" he says.

"Cupids can't be matched," says Cal sharply. "I trust you know that. I'm taking part in this escapade because I want Lila safe, and because as much as I hate to admit it - I don't want you killed. But know this - once you have the Finis I want you out of Forever Falls. I want you gone."