Chapter 20

"Scet?" I whispered. It was a stupid thing to say, obviously he knew who he was. Shock stole my wit. "How did you get in here...in the aerie?"

Scet shook his head, "Dragon lords are self-important, they forget that their senses are easily fooled. But we have not time to speak of trivialities. The shifters have remained nearby, as arranged, but the Onyx Aeire Dragons guard the area closest to the walls, pushing us back."

"Pushing you back? With force? As in battle?" My suspicions were right then, we were prisoners.

"Mostly posturing and threats, but yes there have been a few instances," Scet frowned. "We are unharmed, but they have cut off any communication."

Hmm. But wait...

"Then why not find Dynarys? He flies the forest searching for Cillumn."

"Dynarys is being watched Lady, every move."

"How..."

Scet shook his head. "There is no time, your presence will be missed shortly. I need you to deliver this message to Dynarys, to him alone. I do not trust the other Dragons, someone amongst the delegation is untrue. Do you understand?"

I nodded.

"The aerie is surrounded, Quatori, about a quarter mile out. So many I cannot count them all."

I shuddered.

"It gets worse," his frown deepened, and he met my eyes for the first time. "I have scented Kurath nearby as well."

That was worse.

Prisoner in a very dangerous situation indeed.

"I will tell him the moment he returns," I promised. Scet nodded, and then made to sink back into his shadow. But another question nagged at me.

"Scet?"

He hesitated, but did not meet my eyes again.

"Why did the Shifters stay? Why help Dynarys at all?"

There was a long moment. "Because he is pack, whether he wants to be or not."

Huh. And I would wager his protective gesture had not gone unnoticed either. My opinion of the shifters slowly grew.

"Lady Gayriel?" A loud new voice echoed down the staircase behind me.

I flinched, and spun toward the intruder. Not the wisest move on a steep set of stairs. I felt it as I turned, my balance slipping away. I fought, but I was over the turning point and began picking up speed. Sharp stone stairs rushed upward and my breath caught in my chest, unable even to scream.

Fortunately, strong arms saved me from what would have been a fatal fall. The scent of some familiar but unnamable spice teased my nostrils. I found myself crushed against a hard chest so that I had to crane my neck backward to glimpse my rescuer.

Grim.

So much fear rose in my throat that it threatened to overwhelm my barriers. But now, of all times, I could not lose composure. This was no different than planning my escape for three years. The same danger hovered over me. I knew then that I would have to act and pretend my way to freedom. Only now, it was more than simply my life walking the blade's edge.

Using the cover of balancing myself I checked the landing. Scet was gone, no trace remained. Great six the man was fast. And sneaky.

"What are you doing here?" Grim demanded. His dark eyes flared slightly, all other aspects of his expression remained calm.