The Raven Girl - chapter 37

I got dressed and went into the kitchen area of the ship where Morag had me a cup of tae and a slice of toast. I sat down at the table while she tossed a couple of rashers of bacon into the frying pan and cracked open an egg. Luckily I don’t think she had any inkling where Dante had spent most of the night sleeping. Although that worry was now at the back of my mind. Edvard was here and he was following me. Morag nodded to a piece of paper sat on the table.

“That was pushed through the door this morning. It wasn’t addressed to anyone but I has this feeling its addressed to you.” She said.

“That’s odd.” I said placing my tea down on the table and picking up the folded paper and opening it. Elegant writing almost calligraphic in style in blue ink read-

‘I’m coming to get you.’

I folded the paper up and slipped it into my pocket. Edvard had written it. I knew he had. Everywhere I went he was like a shadowy phantom that haunted me. I was scared but I tried not to dwell on it. Instead I watched Morag busy herself around the kitchen making me breakfast. Dante sauntered in a little while later, but refused to eat. Apparently human food was disgusting and icky tasting to vampire even when he was in the mortal world. So instead Dante watched me eat my food and asked loads of different questions like why bacon was acceptable breakfast food but pork chops weren’t- I think he was bored. We then left the boat and began to walk down the jetty into town.  

“So where is the sword?” Dante asked digging his hands into his jacket pocket.

“I don’t know.” I replied honestly.

“Then why did you bring us here.”

“I need to talk to the Loch Ness monster.”

“Oh come on. You don’t really believe that the beast is still alive.”

“Morag said it was at the bottom of the Loch.”

“Yeah its skeleton. Hags aren’t too bright Ebony. That woman has probably being guarding a dead corpse for three hundred years.”

“What makes you so certain?”

Dante hesitated and shrugged, “I’m pretty certain Nessie is dead.”

“Why do I feel like you’re hiding something from me?”

Dante’s eyes glazed over and he lowered his gaze to the ground, “When you left I did some things I’m not very proud of.”

“Like what?”

Dante didn’t reply.

“Like what Dante?”

“Killing dragons.”

“Dante are you trying to tell me you killed the Loch Ness monster?”

“I didn’t kill it. Henry kind of did.”

“Dante!” I snapped throwing my hands up in the air. “Killing is wrong!”

“They took you from me. Do you have any idea what that was like crawling up the walls of that big old castle, century after century, waiting for your return.”

“So why didn’t you get a hobby like stamp collecting or anything that did not involve war and killing things.”

“I wasn’t myself.”

“Dante that monster knew where your stupid sword was.”

“Okay, well that’s put a positive spin on the situation. Let’s think of it as a spontaneous honeymoon.”