Chapter 7 - "That Is Your Punishment."

Chapter 7- "That Is Your Punishment,"

I let my bags slide down my fingers and fall heavily on the pavement with a huff. I turn around and gaze one last time at the worn out, almost broken state of the house that has been my residence for the past 18 years.

Whew. Time runs like water.

It seems like just yesterday I realized for the first time that my mother is crazy when she'd laid a hand on me . . . I can't believe I made it through all these years without losing my grip on sanity. . .

I'm still reluctant to leave this place, as no one would be there to make sure that my mother, Victoria Rye, is still alive and breathing every day. But, after Beta Ezra's long private meeting with Alpha Hugh Parker today, I'd met him to bid farewell, and voiced my concern – albeit timidly.

What was more shocking was, he'd accepted to hire a person to take care of her, since she's a pack member, after all. I don't know how true he'd remain to his statement, but just knowing that the responsibility to take care of her is off my shoulders, makes me sigh out a huge breath of relief.

"Is that all?" Beta Ezra asks, looking down at the two bags at my feet, annoyance clear in his slightly accented voice. It's not French, not British, something deeper, but the drawl is too light to guess.

"Y-yes," I acquiesce, bending down to pick them by the handles. Beta Ezra beats me to it, grabbing them before I touch them, murmuring something under his breath that sounds suspiciously like, "Don't want another reason to be chewed out..."

He carries the heavy luggage with ease, not the slightest hint of effort in his face. I wonder how it would feel to be that strong, to be able to carry your girl to surprise her or defend her when she is in need of a knight in shining armor . . . Sigh, now that I'm free of Victoria, I should probably work out more.

But, it's the unavoidable truth that some people can't become bulky no matter how hard they try.

Un-freakin'-fortunately, I'm one of them.

Seeing him load all my belongings in the backseat of his sleek blue car reminds me that, there's nothing more of me left in this house. I'm finally free.

Free!

I smile widely at that, and a light, floaty feeling envelops my heart, bubbling from deep within. The happiness I feel is so foreign, I feel like I'm on a high, and nothing around me, not even Beta Ezra's perpetually grumpy mood, can pull me down, or disrupt my positive view of the world, through the sparkling new lenses that the high gives.

"Are you coming, or are gonna stand there all day and smile like a loon?" Beta Ezra barks, pulling his side of the door open, with an irritated look over his shoulder. I press my lips together in an attempt to control my joyous grin, but I fail miserably. I walk to the right side with a spring in my steps, which itself does a big job of surprising me. Beta Ezra notices my super-good mood, and gives me a dirty look once I'm buckled in and all ready to go, still grinning.