Chapter 88.

I use my hands to scramble backwards away from Hardin and Dan as Hardin lifts Dan's head with his hands still wrapped around his neck and slams down into the grass. For a second I wonder if Hardin would have done the same if he were on concrete. I am answered by him lifting his fist up and punching Dan in the jaw.

"Hardin!!" I scream and climb to my feet. Everyone else just stares, Jace seems amused and even Ronnie seems entertained.

"Stop him!" I beg Jace but he shakes his head as Hardin's fist connects to Dan's already bloody face.

"This has been coming for a while, let them hash it out. Do you want a drink?" He smirks at me.

"What? No I don't want a drink! What the hell is wrong with you!" I yell. A crowd has now gathered around and people are cheering on the fight, I have yet to see Dan hit Hardin and I am glad but I want him to stop hurting Dan.

I am too afraid to try to stop Hardin myself so when Zed appears in the yard, I yell for him. His eyes find me immediately and he jogs over.

"Stop him, please!" I yell. Everyone seems to calm except me. If Hardin keeps hitting him, he will kill him. I know it.

Zed gives me a quick nod and takes a few steps over to Hardin. He wraps his fist into Hardin's shirt and pulls him backwards. Hardin is caught off guard so he is easily removed from Dan's body. Hardin tries to swing at Zed but Zed dodges his fist and puts his hands on Hardin's shoulders. He says something to Hardin that I can't make out and then nods his head towards me. Hardin's eyes are blazing, his knuckles bloody and his shirt ripped from Zed's grip. His chest is moving up and down rapidly. I don't make a move to walk towards him, I know how angry he is at me. I can tell. I am not afraid of Hardin the way I probably should be, even though I just witnessed his temper being completely lost I know that he would never physically hurt me.

With the excitement winding down almost everyone has began to move back inside the house. Dan's crumpled body lays on the ground and Jace leans down to hold his hand out to Dan to help him up. He stumbles to his feet and lifts his shirt up to wipe his bloody face off. He spits out a mixture of blood and saliva and I look away.

Hardin's head turns to look where Dan is and he tries to take a step toward him. Zed grabs Hardin again and stops him.

"Fuck you Scott!" Dan spits. Jace steps between them. Now he wants to do something.

"Just wait until your little..." Dan shouts.

"Shut the fuck up." Jace snaps and Dan's mouth closes.

Dan looks at me and I take a step back. I wonder what Jace meant by "its been a long time coming." with Hardin and Dan. They seemed fine a few minutes ago.

"Go inside!' Hardin yells. I immediately know that he is talking to me.

I decide to listen to him, for once and turn around and run into the house. I know that everyone is staring at me but I don't care. I push my way through the crowded house and rush up to Hardin's room, luckily the door isn't locked. I must have forgotten to lock it when I left and to add to my horror, there is a big red spot on the carpet. Someone must have stumbled in here and spilled a drink on the tan carpet. Great. I hurry to the bathroom and grab a towel and turn the sink on. I lock Hardin's door once I step inside and furiously wipe the stain, the water only spreads the spot and makes it much worse.

The door clicks and I try to stand before he enters.

"What the hell are you doing?" His eyes move to the towel in my hand then to the spot on the floor.

"Someone.. I forgot to lock the door when I went downstairs." I admit and look at him. His nostrils flare and he takes a deep breath.

"I'm sorry." I squeak.