Chapter 26 : Mr. Demanding

Please don't forget to vote and comment! I appreciate it very, very much!

I wake up to my phone vibrating on my nightstand. I groan and push myself deeper into my bed, trying to block out the loud vibrations, hoping I'll be able to fall back asleep.

But that damn phone won't stop vibrating. Just when I think it will, it starts up again. I mutter some profanities under my breath, throwing the covers off my body and blinking up at the light room, being lighted by the sun, which is barely up in the sky.

I reach for my phone, my eyes still half closed and I'm almost sleeping. I pick up the phone, not even caring about checking who's calling.

''This better be important,'' I mutter threateningly in the speaker, blinking a few times to get rid of the sleepiness.

''Good morning, Rory. I wouldn't be calling you repeatedly so early in the morning if it wasn't important,'' Braden's sharp voice greets me, making me instantly pop my eyes open and sit up straight in the bed.

''Braden,'' I breathe, quite surprised. And worried. ''Did something happen?'' I ask worriedly, suddenly very alert. Is he in danger? Is he okay? Is Brooke okay? Millions of thoughts swirl in my head in a mere two seconds of time.

''Hmmm,'' Braden hums. ''I think it should be me asking you that question,'' he replies back courtly, his voice hinting on anger.

I frown and look down at myself, dressed in his shirt, safely tucked in my bed. ''What do you mean? I'm okay.'' I sound unsure.

Braden inhales on the other end and blows out a harsh breath. It makes me wince and chills run down my body at how angry I feel he is. ''Rory,'' is Braden's reply, his voice so cold that it literally makes me shiver. It's a warning, but I don't know what for. ''I'll give you exactly two minutes to give you a chance to remember if you maybe forgot to mention something very important to me. Go.''

It's too early. My brain is literally not functioning properly and I fear what's up with Braden and what's so important he must be calling me this early. Apparently, I did something wrong. I don't say anything for a long minute and Braden is waiting on the other line and the only indication he's still on the phone with me is his heavy breathing. ''Braden, it's too early to play mind games. Can you tell me what's so important that couldn't wait?'' I sigh, my tired eyes are starting to hurt from the force of staying open.

Braden inhales again, making my body tense. ''What's so important, Rory?'' he seethes out and I can basically hear him gritting his teeth together. His voice is strained, forced to stay calm. ''Maybe what's wrong is that I got the reports on your bank account, sweetheart.'' He points out the last word and it sounds accusingly from his mouth.

My body turns still, my breathing completely stops and all I can do is stare at the wall, wishing that maybe I just didn't hear him right. Or that I'm dreaming and I'll wake up hours from now, laughing at this dream.

''Did you remember now?'' he asks bitterly.

I close my eyes, tears already welling up in them. I choke on my breath. Oh, God ... This couldn't be happening. ''How did you even find out?'' I manage out shakily. That's not how I wanted him to find out, dammit!

Braden chuckles dryly, darkly. ''You can do a lot of things when you have money, Rory. But that's not really important at this exact moment,'' he reminds me harshly.

I bite my lip, my bottom lip trembling. His statement makes me shudder, him reminding me that he has a fortune, while I'm currently without a cent. And what's even worse is how angry he sounds. I hate him being angry with me. ''I ... I don't know what to say, Braden ...'' I cry out desperately, tears running down my cheeks.