19 Making A Book

Colton~~

I copy and paste from a PDF into the file I'm working off of to create the book. The text from the PDF is a story about a Preeminence in the early 1800s. I'm going to add in a few embellishments like lycanthropy and perhaps vampirism.

I've tried turning over again and again in my head the thought that I'm working with Iris, but it still hasn't quite hit me.

I scan through the documents on my computer before getting up and browsing the bookshelf in my office. Among history books, accounts of wars, other tomes that any leader should have, are my werewolf novels that are bound in covers to match the other books on my shelves. There is a lot to learn from these kinds of stories. How to work as a team, what makes a good leader, how to be ruthless and cunning yet merciful, and they're filled with warnings against pack mentality.

Resting on my desk, my phone buzzes.

It's Vienna letting me know she won't make it to breakfast in the morning. Her mother thinks they need the whole day to get ready for the ball.

Colton: Should I have breakfast catered for you?

Vienna: I think our chef would be miffed if you did.

Colton: Are you going to send me a picture of your mask or am I going to have to look hopelessly lost tomorrow?

Vienna: Watching you be hopelessly lost is the fun part.

It's nice to talk to her like this, even if our words are only written. It's been tense between us since I returned to the Estate.

Colton: You know what mine looks like.

It takes her awhile to respond.

Vienna: All I'll say is good luck.

*****

It's after midnight when I add the final touches to the document. I sent the file to the library for the Amoris on duty to download to a book. I better get to arrest a few rebels after all this.

As I'm heading up to my room, I pass Erik and Eli in conversation, leaning against the wall. Well, that's an odd pair to find together at this hour.

I approach them, and Erik stops mid-sentence.

"Hey, Colton," Eli says. "Have you heard from Jonas?"

"Not since dinner. Why?"

Erik drums his fingers against the wall. "The only fingerprints they were able to find in her room were those of the Order and Iris's. Apparently, our fingerprints were covering every surface. Which makes it seem like some of us purposefully went around putting our fingerprints on everything."

"We're thinking it was someone in the Order, and that some of us know who it is and are covering for him," Eli says.

"So naturally, of course, neither of you are in on it."

What they're claiming doesn't add up with Iris's letter, unless someone in the Order is working with the rebels. Could Seong-ho have grown sympathetic during his time with them? If someone was involved in a plot to kill Iris though then I'd say Eli, but he would never work with the rebels.

The letter is locked in my desk. No one but Iris should know I have it, but I don't want to take any chances. Since I've spent al this time working on the book, I haven't had a chance to try dusting for prints.

"Jonas might find it suspicious that you two are together late at night. He might see it as conspiring."

Erik claps me on the arm, and I glare.

"Let's say the Epsilon here was responsible," Erik says. "Wouldn't you be in on it?"

I take a step back, dusting off my shirt where his hand touched me. "For once I can say, I had nothing to do with her being attacked."