Chapter 24:

Tara

"Where are Dez and Shaun?" I ask Nya as we stood in her kitchen.

They didn't try to say where they were going when they left, but I knew Nya had to know.

"I don't know." She said looking away a little too quickly.

"What?" I ask narrowing my eyes at her.

"What, what?" She asks.

"You're hiding something."

"No I'm not. Now come on let's eat and watch tv together." She said handing me my plate of food then grabbing my hand pulling me towards the living room.

"First I wanna know where they are." I said. "Don't bs me Nya"

"Where you think they at Tara? They ain't letting that nigga off with nothin."

I sighed knowing that's probably where they went knowing I didn't want them to.

"Tara you can not, not expect them to react how they are to something like this." Nya said.

"Yes, but I'd rather go to the police. That's so much more simpler to me."

"Well not to them."

"But, what if they kill him or something?"

Nya flagged me off, "I doubt they'd go that extreme, but they damn sure gonna send a message."

I sighed out loud.

"Girl you better eat that damn food since you begged me to make these damn hot boneless wings knowing Dez gonna be mad at the both of us for it." Nya said.

I laughed nodding, "Yes ma'am."

"Micah! Shae!" Nya called.

"Yeah!" Micah yelled coming down the stairs with his twin not far behind him.

"Y'all ready to eat?" She asks.

"Yeah. Can I have some of those with ranch?" He asks pointing to my food.

"Those are hot." Nya said.

"I like hot." He said.

"Okay, go wash ya hands."

"Mommy where's my daddy?" Shae asks leaning on Nya.

"He'll be back soon. Go wash ya hands while I go make y'all plates."

"You made me mac and cheese?" Shae asks.

"Yes, you eating meat and vegetables with it too. You can't live off just mac and cheese tho babe."

"Ugh, I guess."

"Lil bad ass." Nya said following her as she ran off.

*

"So how's everything going at the shop?" Nya asks me once she came back into the living room.

"I haven't been there in a week."

"What, why?"

I shrugged, "I guess that scared me a lil more than I thought."

"See that's a exactly why they hot about this shit. You know Shaun and Dez most likely got somebody watching ya shop at all times right?"

"No, they didn't tell me that."

"Ain't going to unless you ask. Might think you wouldn't want it."

"No I do, that makes me feel more comfortable."

"Well tell Dez. You can't let nobody scare you away from your dream."