CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Eleanor found herself filled with nerves as she boarded the Hogwarts Express once they arrived at the Hogsmeade Station. Even with Cedric and Marnie in her company, the thought of her mother being around magic for the holidays was enough to leave her sick to her stomach. Part of her wanted to rejoice in the idea that perhaps Margaret was finally coming around and was going to try harder to accept Eleanor's life as a witch. However, with the given history, Eleanor could only see things ending in disaster.

Sensing her nerves as they all sat down in a compartment, Cedric took his seat next to her, and placed his hand on her shoulder. "Ellie, relax, everything is going to be fine," he attempted to reassure her, "I mean, she said yes when she could have easily refused the offer. That's got to count for something good and it's not like she's using the Floo Network to get there. She's driving up with Marnie's parents, she'll be fine. I told my mother not to over do it with the magic around the household."

"But that's just it, Cedric," Eleanor sighed, "your parents shouldn't have to lessen their use of magic just because my mother is coming around. She's the guest in their home, not the other way around. And even if they don't use magic as much, I already know she's going to overreact or go mental."

"Well, she'll fit in fine with my family, "Marnie told her, "my parents are fine with magic, but it doesn't make them any less mental."

As much as her best friends attempted to reassure her over and over again, Eleanor still didn't find herself convinced. But rather than dwelling on it for the duration of the trip and bringing the mood down, Eleanor decided it would be best to just take a nap. Closing her eyes and resting her head against Cedric's shoulder, she listened as he and Marnie whispered back and forth until she actually fell asleep.

But while they whispered around her, she didn't focus on what they were saying, lost in her own thoughts. She thought about Fred asking if he could send her an owl over the holidays. She hadn't thought much of it at the time, but she wondered if he was actually going to send her a letter of sorts. And if he did, that meant she was obligated to send something back to him. Maybe if he didn't send her an owl, she would send him one, with a Christmas card or something along the lines.

It would be the first time outside of friends and mother that she would send an owl to someone. It seemed her fifth year was turning out to be the year of a lot of firsts.

When the three teens arrived at King's Cross Station, they were greeted by Amos Diggory, who had been given the task to escort them back to the Diggory home. All the times that Eleanor had met Cedric's father before, Amos had always been kind. Very often he would embarrass Cedric, mainly because he loved to brag about his son's accomplishments, but Eleanor found herself jealous, wishing that her mother would claim to be proud of her for once. Pushing her feelings aside, Eleanor greeted Amos in return with a hug before he led them in the direction of the Ministry car he had borrowed for the task of bringing them to the house.