Chapter Fifteen

And so then it was just me and Taehyung.

We watched each other like cornered wild animals, frightened and wary. After Namjoon's funeral, the two of us had returned to the dorms--alone. You'd think being the remaining two would bring us closer, like we would be promising each other that we would always be there for each other, or something, but it didn't work out like that.

We had tried to do that, but it wasn't the same. Of course, Taehyung and I would always be close, but now we had been wedged apart by the death rather than brought together.

It was truly terrifying.

We had started to live like prisoners. We watched each other carefully, like we were sizing up how long the other would have to live. It was almost as if we were too scared to be brought together by death because it might result in the most painful experience ever if it happened again. In short, we were afraid that it might've not been the last time that death would happen.

After a while, we'd tried to get back to normal, and so we became casual friends again. The conversations weren't that forced anymore, but there was always that distance between us--the caution that we took to not get too close, the question of who was going to go first.

Who was the weaker one? Who would crack first? We both knew that one of us was destined to die, but weren't sure exactly who it was yet.