7

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 7: Drunken Almost Truths

{ D.K }

      "You put him in danger!" Elena shouted in Dakota's face, her painted finger pointed at the vampire with hostility.

     With lots of practice, Dakota was able to stand there calmly as the teenage girl let out her anger. Bonnie did this on purpose, and Dakota had a feeling the witch was going to get some kind of revenge on her since she didn't tell her about what happened in the tomb. "I did nothing you don't already do on a regular basis. I just filled him in on what he was in danger of, unlike you."

    Elena closed her mouth, the words she was planning to use dying in her throat. She stayed that way for a second before she straightened her stance and tightened her doe-like features. "I am not perfect, and I have made mistakes. But this, this was your fault. You put my brother in danger."

     "Whatever helps you sleep at night." Dakota sang, turning on her heels to walk out of the doppelgänger's home where they had dropped Jeremy off.

    Before leaving, Dakota sent Bonnie a quick thanks for her help and left. "She's right you know." Damon called out, sitting on the hood of her car.

She ignored his words, taking out her loud keys and got in. "So was I."

     Dakota's intentions when she got back to her large home was to get drunk and sleep. She had only made it to drunk when the Bennett witch knocked in her door at midnight. "What?" Dakota lazily leaned on the door, her half-lidded brown eyes boring into the teenage witch.

     "How did I lift that spell? I wasn't strong enough and I'm not leaving until you give me answers." Bonnie followed Dakota inside, shutting the door behind her.

     With crossed arms she watched the vampire, waiting for an answer. Dakota poured herself another drink, taking her precious time because that was all she had. "It wasn't you," Dakota drunkenly admits, gulping the liquid down. The tangy taste abusing her tongue as the burn that she often welcomed slid down her throat. "—I have some dead witchy friends that helped me out there. No offense Bon, but you don't exactly have the juice I need."

      Ignoring the blatant jab, she seemed much more interested in the information that the drunk was revealing. "What do you do for them in return then?"

      "Smart girl." Dakota praised, clapping her hands together. Her daylight ring clacked against the cup that was empty each time her hands met. "I watch their families. When a witch dies, they join my clan of witch friends, and the cycle continues. I've been doing it for centuries."

      "Who are you watching over now?"

      "Not allowed to say."

      Her green eyes narrowed at Dakota's secrecy. "Don't clam up now, I'm not going to blab to everyone, just tell me."

      Dakota was drunk, but she didn't trust her, not one little bit. "Can't say. Sorry kid." The shock that took place on her unique features was enough to fuel her drunken laughter.

      "You're so drunk it's disgusting."

      "I'm not here to make you happy. If you have an issue, just remember you came to me."

      "Do they know you're a vampire?" Dakota rolled her eyes at Bonnie, deciding to slow down on the drinks and switch to chocolate that she had stowed away in the fridge.

      "They're witches, of course they know."

Bonnie smiled wholeheartedly at the compliment of her lineage, but it soon fell. "Jeremy could've died today. Why didn't you protect him?""

        Dakota's eyes rolled on their own accord, her irritation growing at the constant reminder of a mistake that was made. "I'm not stupid. I'm well aware that he could've died, but he didn't. Besides, he's not my responsibility."

       Bonnie opened her mouth to speak. "Why won't you tell me who?"

      "It's none of your business Bonnie."

      "If it's me, then it's my business."

      Dakota ate the small piece of chocolate she was unwrapping as the two spoke. "It's not you. I don't help Bennett's, they're judgy little things. Now I see that you've gained their traits."

      Dakota King had half expected the witches to use their brain aneurysm thing on her, but this wasn't the first time she had used this method to help a Bennett, so they grew used to it and no longer punished her. "You were supposed to be different."

     "I'm a vampire, Bonnie. How much more different can I be?"

     Bonnie half-turned away from Dakota. "I'm going to save my friend, even if that means I get killed."

     "I don't know how to tell you this without sounding really mean, but go for it."