Justice League Incarnate

THE BATCAVE - August 3rd

7:23AM

Desmond was astounded at Bruce's question. Not because he was shocked at the fact Bruce would think he would do something so horrible, but because he realized that Bruce's wariness of him was perfectly justified.

"Do I really pose a threat to humanity..?" Desmond thought anxiously.

He didn't want to entertain that thought, but was considering the possibility of it. After several minutes of consideration, Desmond was only able to give one answer:

"I don't know."

Bruce looked at Desmond with indifference. He was still worried about the question he just asked, but seemed satisfied with Desmond's answer.

For now at least...

Bruce put his cowl back on and pressed the power button on the computer, turning it off with a small hum before walking with Desmond to the Zeta-Tube.

"I do believe that your powers are destructive, Desmond." he said. "But I also believe that you can-"

Suddenly, there was a loud siren sounding from the Bat-computer, pale blue lights whirring all over the cave.

As the sirens reached a climax, Batman and Desmond ran to the Bat-computer and were immediately greeted by a video feed of Superman.

"Superman to Batman." he said, his voice dripping with panic.

Batman pushed a small button and sat down, filled with anxious anticipation.

"Yes, Superman." Batman replied. "What is it?"

"There's been a situation."

Batman tightened his fists.

"What's happened? Is it more of the former Belle Reve inmates?"

Superman swallowed nervously. Desmond wasn't liking this...

"Yes and no." Superman answered. "It's the Young Justice..."

Desmond's eyes went wide as he faced Superman's projection.

"What happened?!"

Superman looked at Desmond and sighed.

"Look at this transmission..."

Desmond leaned closer to the screen, before another video began to play.

The video had a well-dressed, aristocratic looking man with icy-blonde hair and an even icier smile.

"Good afternoon, citizens of America." he said with a thick, Eastern European accent. "It is I, Count Vertigo, here to present you all a proposition..."

Vertigo pointed his cane to his right, where rows of large, black, glowing containers were embedded in the wall of a morgue-like room. He walked over to a wall with crumbling tiles and pulled a dusty, old switch on the wall, which flashed with electricity and dropped the lids of the containers. The contents of the containers filled Batman and Desmond with dread.

It was the Young Justice members!!

"Before I name the demands, allow me to offer an explanation..."

Vertigo pulled the switch again and the Young Justice members began screaming in pain as volts of electricity flew down into their containers.

"Note the collars that they are wearing..." Vertigo said, inclining his head to a bound up Robin. "They each correspond to the weakness of the wearer and supplies a steady stream of the said weakness every few minutes. They are also synchronized with proximity scanners we have placed around our location. Those scanners are linked to the bio-data of ALL the Justice League members."