Goodbye Desmond

BLUDHAVEN - August 3rd

10:27AM

Without wasting a second, Desmond lifted his arm back to punch Vertigo, but a large, vine-like coil suddenly lashed around it and threw him backwards into a wall, white tiles clinking and crumbling to the floor.

Desmond looked back up to see large, thick plant coils floating around Poison Ivy, like tentacles around an octopus.
"I don't normally hit girls..." Desmond told her. "But looks like I'll have to make an exception.
Ivy scowled and yelled as she threw her hands down in front of Desmond, the plants launching themselves at Desmond like snakes.
Desmond dodge-rolled to his right, missing two and jumped into the air, missing another three. The next one snapped out and wrapped itself around Desmond's waist as he flew into the air, but before it could curl around him completely, he had sliced it into clean, smoking pieces with his eyebeams.
As he landed, he tightened his hands like a karate strike and slammed them into Ivy's shoulders, who screamed out in pain before collapsing.
"It's always the hot ones that are crazy..." Desmond sighed.

Desmond started towards Vertigo, who looked to the right anxiously...

"Now," Desmond said. "Where were we-"

Suddenly, a giant, white gorilla burst through the wall and slammed itself into Desmond, throwing him through two rooms with a loud crash.

"My thanks, Humanite..." Vertigo nodded towards the gorilla.

A proud smile crossed Humanite's mouth as he bolted through the rooms after Desmond, who was staggering up onto his feet.

"God, that was a huge monkey..." he muttered to himself.

Humanite stopped in front of Desmond, it's eyes boiling with rage and roared loudly at him.
"Do I have to roar back?" Desmond joked. "Like the Lion King or something-"

Humanite slammed a muscular, white paw down onto the floor above Desmond, who barely dodged out of the way in time.
As Humanite pulled his fist out of the cracked floor, Desmond lunged forward and punched Humanite straight into the face, sending him back to the room they came from, barely conscious.

"Sending your allies to attack me, Vertigo?" Desmond said. "And I thought that nobles were supposed to be chivalrous!"
Desmond looked at the injured Humanite and sighed.

"First a woman and then you made me hurt an animal...By the end of this battle, you'll probably have the UN up my ass..."

Then, Desmond scowled at him.

"Now are you going to release my friends? Your plan has failed. Give up!"

Vertigo chuckled.

"No, child..." he told Desmond. "With you here now, my plan has worked perfectly..."

Desmond stopped.

"What are you-"

Suddenly, a huge golden light burst from a glyph on the floor, sending golden chains lashing and coiling around Desmond before he could react.

He couldn't move!!
Before he could react, a sickly green gas spewed out from the sprinklers above him, making Desmond feel dizzy.

All the other members of the Injustice League that Desmond hadn't fought came burst through the doors. A zombie-like man in a helmet, the green-haired man and a tall, blue-skinned sorcerer.

"NOW!!" Vertigo yelled.

Almost immediately, all of the other Injustice League members woke up and threw their hands up at Desmond, who struggled against the chains with what little strength he could muster from the dizziness.
"Wotan! Black Adam! Atomic Skull! ATTACK!!"
The trio all nodded and shot beams of energy straight at Desmond, making him scream in pain.

When they finally let up their attack, Ivy sent more plant vines at Desmond, tearing him out of the chains, but throwing and bolting him to the wall.

Desmond panted and gasped with pain as Vertigo seized him by the throat.

"All this," Vertigo said to Desmond. "All was given to us, on the condition we lure YOU here..."

Desmond looked at Vertigo with disbelief.

"Me?"

Vertigo threw Desmond to the floor and kicked his ribs, making Desmond grunt in pain.
"Our benefactor seemed to have an...unhealthy obsession with you..."

Vertigo scoffed.

"He told us much about you, DESMOND. That you can copy powers, but only one at a time and with a time limit and that you are determined to protect your friends and prove yourself to the Justice League..."
Vertigo drew a silver and green sword from his cane.

Desmond panted and groaned with pain, but had an odd feeling washing through him.
"Perhaps you'll prove yourself as a martyr..." Vertigo said coldly.

"What is this..?" Desmond asked himself. "This feeling..?"

But before Desmond could answer, Vertigo ran his sword through Desmond's back.

Pain surged through Desmond's body as he coughed up a puddle of blood onto Vertigo's feet.

"Goodbye, Desmond..."

Desmond began to lose consciousness as the odd feeling began to swell within him.

"Only one power..."

Vertigo turned around to face the rest of the Injustice League, who were smiling victoriously.

"Call the benefactor." Vertigo ordered. "Be sure to tell him that Desmond is-"

"Dead?" a voice asked.

Before Vertigo could react, a glowing, green blade suddenly tore through Vertigo's chest, sending blood flying everywhere.

Vertigo trembled with shock and fear as he turned his head back.

The green blade was connected to Desmond's glowing fist.

"Coming from the guy with a blade in his chest..." Desmond chuckled.

Vertigo tried to speak, but his throat was gurgling with blood. How?! Desmond had just been mortally wounded!

But then he noticed something was off with Desmond.

His brown eyes had now turned a shining, golden yellow and an evil, sadistic smile was stretching across his lips, as if something had possessed him.

The Injustice League began to step back towards the doors as Desmond's smile grew wider and more evil.

Suddenly, Desmond tore the blade from Vertigo's chest and with an impossible speed, sent it through Vertigo's neck.

Within a split second, Vertigo's severed head was rolling across the concrete before them.

"Now..." Desmond chuckled. "Let's try this again, shall we?"

What the hell was that?! After somehow healing from a mortal wound in only a second and killing Count Vertigo, Desmond is now going to fight the whole Injustice League?! What has happened to him?!

Find out in the next chapter! Be sure to vote and comment your thoughts on what you think will happen in the last three chapters before PART III!! :D 

Three completely unmissable chapters!! :D

- Kai-Shiro :D