Chapter One

Disclaimer: only the first 9 chapters of the story are available on Wattpad. The rest are exclusive on Radish. Again, only the first 9 chapters are here on Wattpad!

_______________________________________________

I usually liked letters that began with a Congratulations!

It was on my acceptance letter to NYU. It was on my awarded scholarships letter. Letters that began with a Congratulations! were a good thing.

I nod, slowly, as I stare at the letter in front of me. "This is a good thing." My hands are trembling, making the letter shake so I set it on the counter and pace around the kitchen.

Not the kind of good I liked rather the kind of good you know you have to do but don't want to, like when you know you have to clean your bedroom but you'd rather lay in bed and watch TV. Or when you know you have to do your homework but you want to go watch that one movie that just came out. That kind of good. The kind that has a good result but there's a sacrifice to it.

In my case, a huge sacrifice.

"Emily?"

I look up and realize that Derek, my roommate is looking at me. "Yeah?" I say reaching for the letter quickly.

"Are you alright?" he says eyeing me with his pitch black eyes.

"Yeah." I repeat, nodding. "Just tired, I'm going to take a nap." I announce making my way to my room.

I met Derek at the beginning of my junior year in NYU which was almost two years ago, considering I am on my last semester of college. We decided to move in together at the end of the year after becoming good friends. Living with him hasn't been a problem so far, he's a good guy. We live in a two bedroom apartment and share the bills.

I go to my room and shut the door then lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling. I have three exams this week along with a ton of homework to do and I couldn't bring myself to start studying. A few months ago, I received the worst news I could possibly receive. My dad had a heart attack. My family lives in Arizona, where I was born, but I came to New York for my career because the school offered me a full scholarship so I couldn't even see him.

My mom didn't tell me until he was out of danger but that didn't make me feel any better. Ever since that day, my father has been sick and my mom had to work more in order to be able to pay the house bills, leaving my little sister in the hospital with my dad. She is a sophomore in high school so she goes whenever she gets out of school so my dad is not alone.

I've thought about leaving.

A lot of times.

I was supposed to be the miracle of the family. The successful one to make enough money to be able to buy my parents a house. The reliable one. And I'm here, useless, unable to do anything to help. Part of me wants to pack my bags and go home and the other part of me knows I can't throw all of this away. I am so close to finishing school. So close to graduating and becoming a nurse-I can't give it up now. That's what my dad told me the last time I spoke with him and I know he's right but I won't forgive myself if something happens to him while I'm here.

I clean the tear that was rolling down the side of my eye.

Of course I have a job but it is barely enough for me to pay the bills and feed myself. I don't have enough money to send them and help my mom. So while I'm here, trying to finish my education, my dad is drowning more in debt with the hospital. Soon, they're not going to want to attend him.

I didn't think it would be this hard to be a twenty-four year old.

My phone begins to ring, making me jump. "Hello?" I answer, quickly and out of breath.