Chapter 21

CHAPTER 21

Dusk darkened the sky when we left the tower. The stones of the aerie happily blending into the shadows, a sight more forbidding than welcoming or protective.

I tried not to let Pourtus's words bother me. I had a valid reason for my behavior. I was certain Dynarys would see that. Really I was.

Except that nervous flutter in my stomach that kept pulling his words from my mind. I will prove to you how deep my control of you runs. My mind dove off in that direction as we walked sending electric tingles of awareness through my body.

I cursed at myself. Now was not the time to fantasize, it was not a benign message I was to deliver. Lives, my life even rested in the balance.

A cold breeze wafted around the buildings and rose goosebumps on my skin. Not just dusk darkened the sky, but black clouds that promised to obscure the moon and stars as well. Which would make climbing more difficult, if I were to still go through with my plan.

The young woman had escaped, back to her duties no doubt, leaving Pourtus to guide me back to the guest apartments. He did not speak farther, but I noted when his attention turned away from me.

The wall that separated the delegation from the aerie came into view. And so did the many guards placed at the gate. Onyx Aerie guards, with stern postures and blades exposed. They had not been present when we had left for our tour. So what had changed?

They did not speak, as we approached. Instinct warned me to slow, to hesitate, here were eight men that looked as though they could skewer me in a heartbeat, and might do so. If Pourtus was intimidated he did not show it. He continued walking as though nothing more threatening that daisies lined our path.

The guards did not waver as we passed, I tensed anyway, the progress was clear. If we had ever been honored guests we were no more, and I did not like the direction things were headed.

The Amber Aeire lords filled the small courtyard, all were present. Except Cillumn. And they did not look happy.

Dynarys stood at the center of the group, speaking softly and sending gauging looks toward the gate where the guards had appeared.

"What have I missed?" Pourtus demanded, abandoning me at the courtyard's edge and pushing into the group.

The eyes of the Amber Lords turned to Dynarys.

"Cillumn is dead," he announced.

My breath caught. Somehow I had not expected that outcome. The Dragon Lords seemed so untouchable to me.

"I found a clearing in the forest to the north, damaged in battle, with enough of Cillumn's blood to prove his demise. Nothing else remains of him."

I was on the outskirts of the group, and though the words were even and factual, I sensed a deeper emotion hidden beneath them. Dynarys cared, but here, he didn't wish to show his distress. Why?

And what was Cillumn doing in the forest far to the north? If he had been trailing me, as was supposed, he would have been no where near the forest. Grim had led me through crops along the flat plateau.

A feeling a dread grew within me. This news, coupled with Scet's message spelled disaster. But I couldn't impart the message here. For Dynarys's ears alone. I remembered that Scet suspected the delegation was not true. But would any of them commit such a crime against his own people?

"What of our new friends?" I asked, jerking my head toward the gate.

Dynarys looked up, frowning, but it was Strale who spoke.