Chapter 6.

I gazed at the red ruby, held in place by a silver serpent. It was... beautiful, to say the least.

Marriage? At sixteen, to be seventeen in a month. Not something I imagined would be happening anytime soon. I figured we would marry at sometime; sometime very, very far down the road..

I've never been the wedding kind of girl. At age 9, I went to my Uncle Rhowen's wedding and I was astonished at all the people crying. My mother told me it was 'beautiful'.. I didn't see it..

Draco stares at me, waiting anxiously for an answer. 'Are you sure?' That's the only thing I want to ask him, but I can feel his parent's impatient glares burning a hole in my head. I 'm cornered.

"Yeah," I croak out, my voice barely working.

                                                                                Draco's P.O.V

                                                                              Earlier that day..

I make my way down the corridor, to get something for breakfast.

"Draco," Someone calls my name.

I stop and turn to see my father sitting in his den. The shades are drawn and he's sitting with the fireplace blazing.

"Yes, father?" I ask, stepping into the room. As a child, I was never allowed in this room. I even find it strange he's allowing me in here now.

"Sit down. I have something for you." He says, pointing to the leather chair across from him.

Letting my confusion show, I take a seat on the cold, leather chair. I say nothing as he digs in his desk drawer.

He pulls out a small white box and hands it to me. A gift? If we're exchanging gifts, I should go and get his present from Alice and I.

I open the box and see a ring. A woman's ring. A red stone, surrounded by a silver serpent.

"I want you to propose to Alice, tonight, while we exchange gifts." He tells me. I nearly choke on air. Propose? As Alice to marry me? Tonight?

"Father, I don't think..." I shake my head, putting the cover back on the box.

"Let me tell you something.." He says, sitting back in his chair.

"Normal women are unpredictable. They are emotional and far too sensitive. But then, then there are women like Alice. Alice is much like you and I. Much more unpredictable, but not as sensitive, which is a problem." He says, talking slow, just to emphasize the importance.

"If Alice falls in love with another man, she'll be gone in a blink of an eye. So, that's why you must mark her. It's very much like receiving the Dark Mark. Before, I was all over the place; unstable. But, I got marked and I became a very loyal man." He tries to convince me.

I know better than to argue with him. But, I know Alice. She's not the type to marry at sixteen, and frankly, neither am I.

"Look, if you want the Dark Lord to believe you two are serious about all of this, you must prove it to him in every way possible." He tells me, getting to his feet.

"And, I have to do it tonight?" I ask, getting up, following his lead.

"It'll be harder for her to say no in front of your mother and I," He says, confidently.

I put the box in my pocket and it feels as if it weighs a thousand pounds.

                                                                              Alice's P.O.V