Chapter 21 - The War Begins

I didn't want to look at his face but then I was waiting for him to respond may be blast me or accuse me and after making me wait for a good 5 minutes he finally spoke in a very meek tone.

"How did you know??"

Yes what more can you expect out of the Mr. Moron Malhotra. Only he could ask as dumb a question like that to a girl. How can a girl not know if she is pregnant or not? He of course didn't bother to notice that I had been unwell since the past few days; I felt pukish every now and then and also had missed my periods for the month. I had a rim of doubt clouding my mind and had been avoiding it purposely.

"It could... be a false alarm.. or something", he stammered to put together the sentence in one go.

"No I have done the pregnancy test through the readily available kit and... ", I tried to enlighten about the graveness as well as the actuality of the situation.

Manik heaved a sigh, "Ohh that..arey most of it is not correct...you should not believe these"

"Manik let me finish atleast..and I have consulted with a doctor also ..all the tests are positive"

His face fell and he seemed disturbed. He thumped on a chair of the conference room where we were having this discussion. He pulled another chair in front of him.

"Why are you standing?? You should sit.." he sounded unbelievably calm in fact nervous.

"Its okay..I am comfortable", I pulled the chair aside and stood straight.

"But how did this happen??" he bit his lips and I saw sweat beads appear on his forehead for the first time.

Really!! Mr. Moron Malhotra struck again. He was literally acting so dumb that it irritated me to the core. Now I also had to explain him How does a girl get pregnant?? Or did he choose to conveniently forget the number of times he rammed into me. Well it shouldn't have been a surprise for me by now I should have gotten used to this obnoxious man and his whimsical temperament and atrocious mood swings.

"I mean you took pills na after we did it so...", I guess he also realized the stupid question he asked sometime back and thus rephrased it to sound a little less idiotic.

"Manik the pills are not 100% safe..the doctor said the same thing ..it is rare but sometimes it doesn't work and in my case it didn't so.." I informed him curtly.

His behavior was getting on to my nerves. I am the one who is pregnant and I am the one who needs consolation to deal with the situation but he chose to be such a dud. His expressions gave away his sense of responsibility. I figured out that the news didn't go quite well with him not that I was expecting him too either. But now what?? Manik drew back. What am I going to do?? How can I have this child alone?? It was indeed a big responsibility. I didn't want to hold Manik responsible for this entirely either. I knew about his attitude towards relationships and his past. I remembered I had warned myself before about being with him and now I couldn't go back on my words.

I had this doubt since the last few days, the generic symptoms and my physical condition were making it more obvious. But I had not shared about it with anyone before being sure myself. Before the confirmation I prayed day and night that it was a false alarm but my worst fears were confirmed as I got my reports this morning. I could not hide this from Manik, it was his baby after all. But what was I thinking that I will tell Manik that I was pregnant with his baby and he would pull me into his arms...I regretted every bit of sharing the news with him. I felt so helpless and felt like crying. I don't know how but a strange sense of hatred and detest emerged in me. I was not going to beg him. If he thought he would try hard to get and I would chase him then he was wrong. The pause of silence in between us raised these painful questions in my mind and constant doubts in his. I would not let him accuse me; I cannot let him have an upper hand on me so I broke the undesired ice.