-Chapter 25-

After lunch, I find myself milling through the various hallways, looking at nothing in particular. I asked Charlie about his new rooming situation, and he said he ended up with a nice little room back by Paul's workroom. It makes me feel kind of bad knowing he had to give up his room because of me, but I decide that because of the circumstances, there weren't many options.

  I circle back around, passing Kane's office again, although this time I hear quiet chatter coming from just inside the door.

  "Where'd you hear that?" I hear Kane ask harshly, and I flinch.

  "I was there. Next time you want to have a conversation like that, make sure we ain't around. We need to get rid of her. She'll just play us again, Kane. You're lucky we got out of that Fed infested place," The other voice says, but I don't recognize it. A chill runs through me, knowing they're talking about me.

  "Do I need to remind you how we got out?" Kane asks, his voice cold. "She is the only reason we made it out. You say anything to the others, and I will turn you in to the Feds myself. Understood?" I hear the squeak of a chair, and I imagine Kane leaning in, making his point clear.

  There is a mumble of agreement, then it grows quiet, and I take that as my signal to leave before I get caught. I rush down the hall, trying to not over complicate the situation, but my thoughts run wild.

  Was someone there when I confessed to Kane about my plan? I suddenly grow worried, wondering how long it will take for others to learn about my near betrayal. What will happen to me and Amelia? Will we be forced to leave, find somewhere else to live? The notion hurts. I wouldn't have anywhere to go. My parents are not an option; not yet anyway.

  I rush back to my room, scared to be anywhere else at the moment. Kane warned me about the chances of his men discovering my true intentions; what they'd do. I just figured we'd never have to find out if he was right about them.

  I go to take a seat next to the bed, and see that Tommy has already come in this morning; noting the absence of Amelia's box. I almost feel like I never see her anymore, and I feel bad for not taking time to be with her. I've made it Tommy's job, even though it should be mine.

  There's a quiet knock on my door, and I sigh, not really feeling up to talking to anyone. Charlie poke his head in the door, and I smile. Charlie is always a pleasant sight, even when I don't feel social. He comes and takes a seat on the bed next to me; and almost as if he understands, he stays quiet until I talk first.

  "Did Kane tell you?" I ask, my voice hoarse. I can't imagine Kane not telling Charlie anything. Especially if it was as important as my plan.

  "Yes," Charlie says, his voice soft. "And I'm not mad."

    I look up, slightly surprised by what Charlie is saying. He's not angry? I nearly got him and everyone killed, and he isn't upset?

  "You think you're the first to see the power of having Kane on your side? You really thought you were the first to think of turning him in?" Charlie chuckles, but it's not lighthearted like usual. "We all have our own secrets, Felisha. But mine are dark. I hide behind my confidence way too often."

  "I could've told you that one," I say, hoping Charlie will keep talking. Whatever secrets he has, they seem important. And he has intrigued me. What does he mean? Has someone else thought of turning Kane in; someone who was on Kane's side?

  "When I first met Kane, he wasn't a rebel. He was just a kid on the street. We both were. Then a certain event changed our minds, and we decided to help the Year Movement. Kane's pops ran it, and even though it took us a year or two to track down the organization, we finally found them. About a year after becoming members, Kane and I were on a mission late at night. We were supposed to just vandalize a few places, leave the symbol, leave. A simple get-in-get-out mission. We had a big disagreement, and I was so full of anger," Charlie shudders, and his voice grows quiet. "I was so close to doing it. I was walking up the stairs of one of those stupid Fed bunkers before I finally realized the consequences my choice would have. I have never forgiven myself for nearly giving into the temptation."