Chapter 27

After Finn dragged me back to his room I had accepted that he was going to punish me physically. And it would be a lot worse than any other time he had hit me. I was bracing myself for the first blow but a very distressed woman ran in frantically telling Finn something was happening. I listened to what she was saying with a huge smile on my face as she told Finn how the Atlantic Kingdom had been sneaking in underground.

"They're what?!" He shouted as one of the big scary Zambezis ran in.

"Boss, should I take your mate to the safe room?"

"Yes, go." He said waving a hand towards me.

The scary merman walked towards me and lifted me up by my arm. I didn't protest but let him drag me from the room. He made me wear a blindfold and led me down dark corridors where I could hear running water and the floor was slightly damp below my bare feet. We stopped abruptly and the man who had a strong grip on my upper arm said something in a different language I had been hearing a lot lately and I heard a door open. The blindfold was taken off me and I was led into a room that was dimly lit. A few chairs were scattered about and a cupboard at the back but other than that, there was nothing else in the room.

My stomach was hurting and my head my spinning. He pushed me down into a cold chair and tied my hands and feet to it.

"They will find me." I said confidently not showing I was scared. "They're stronger than you are."

My head snapped to the side and pain exploded through my cheek. He hit me again, catching my bottom lip with his fist splitting it open.

"You shouldn't have opened that box, human. Then you wouldn't be here right now. You'd still be on land." He sneered.

I was breathing heavily and trying not to cry. My emotions were a bit out of control with me being pregnant and I had constant mood swings which are something Finn did not like.

"Why are you doing this?"

He laughed. "There is a lot you don't know about us. We have our reasons."

"Why did you take me?" I asked trying to free my wrists from the rope. "What's the point?"

"Well, years ago when the Zambezis were only a small group one of our members whose name was Hali met the future King from the Atlantic Ocean and discovered they were mates. They met in secret until one day the Prince's Father found them together and the Prince rejected Hali in front of everyone. She was a Zambezi and having an outcast like that, tinting the blood line, was not accepted. After that we were hated and eventually Hali was killed through no fault of her own. Her parents were the outcasts and not Hali. We were forced to hide and deal in the black market just to feed everyone. We started stealing from Pods of Merpeople to gain more money as our group grew and grew. Then one day our hunters came across King Seaton and his two sons that were travelling to another Kingdom. They attacked, knowing they would have their element on them and if we got our hands on it, the Kingdom would be bowing down to us."

"B-But that was years ago. What that Prince did wasn't right but I don't see why you kidnapped me!" I cried.

"This is where you come in. Once both Princes managed to escape from us they sheltered near the shore and they both met their mates. We tracked them down and attacked Leomaris hoping Caspian had left the crystal with him whilst he visited you. He didn't so we had to try other methods. We sent people looking for you undercover trying to track you down as well. However, when you opened that box and touched the crystal, you sent out a signal to every Kingdom, letting them know Prince Caspian had found his mate. Some people in our group had been telling stories that somehow the crystal's powers could be transferred to you, so we took you, expecting you to show us something but turns out we were wrong. But Boss took a liking to you so took you as his mate." He finished, staring me dead in the eye.