Chapter Twenty Six

Six Months Later - December 1st

Its been six months. Six months since Peeta and I have been trying for a baby.

I wake up early in the morning with a sick feeling in my stomach. I scramble out of bed, careful not to wake Peeta, and I run to the bathroom.

I sit on the toilet as I wait for the test. As soon as it beeps, I'm terrified to look.

I pick it up, and close my eyes. I count to three and open...

Negative

I instantly fall to the floor and break down in tears. "I hate myself," I whisper over and over.

I guess I wake Peeta, because he comes rushing to the bathroom.

He notices the test in my hand.

"It's negative, isn't it?" He says in a shaky voice.

"Yes." I cry. "I'm sorry, Peeta."

Peeta sits down next to me, and I bury my head into his chest.

"I hate myself!" I scream. "I'm not able to do the one thing that I was put on this earth to do.

Peeta stands up and runs his hands through his hair.

"Don't you dare say that!" He yells. "It's not your fault!"

He paces around the room, and then sits on the toilet and buries  his face in his hands.

"I'm sorry!" I cry. "I don't know what to do."

I stand up, and run out the door. I go straight to Johanna's house.

I don't bother knocking, I just barge in.

Johanna is sitting in the kitchen, holding Luna, and barely fitting into the chair.

"Hey." I say

"What's wrong?" She asks. "Have you been crying?!"

"Is Alder home?"

"Yeah." She says.

"Can you come to the doctors with me?"

"Yeah!" She says. "What's wrong?"

"I'll explain on the way."

Johanna gives Luna to Alder, and we get in the car.

"What's wrong?" She pleads.

"It's been six months since Peeta and I began trying for a baby, and I'm still not pregnant. When I took a test this morning, it was negative again, and I started screaming that I hated myself. Peeta got mad, and started yelling too."

"I'm so sorry." Johanna says.

"I don't even want to go home," I start. "Peeta is probably so mad at me."

"So I assume we're going to the doctor to see why you can't get pregnant?" Johanna asks.

"Yeah." I say.