Secretly Famous Part 7

Part 7

I feel fat and ridiculous. This is supposed to be a romantic moment! The well dressed thin lady at the desk looks at me with a fake smile.

”Engagement rings?” she says. ”We have a lot to choose from Mr Gregory, please feel free to try all out Miss Williams.” She put large boxes of exclusive rings on the counter and takes a step back. There are so many rings, I don’t know how I will be able to only choose one!

”Thank you,” I answer politely. I give Matt a nervous look and he just smiles warmly.

”Money is not really a problem for us,” he joke. ”Just pick the one you like Molly.”

I pick up one ring. It is thin and have a large diamond on it. I try it on my finger but it doesn’t feel comfortable. I take my time exploring the rings. Think Molly! What kind of rings do you usually wear? Pretend like you are Darlene, she never have problems with buying jewellery. The answer came straight to me.

”I want a white gold ring with a small diamond in it, shaped as a heart. Do you have that?” I ask.

”Of course we do,” the lady answer and picks up one ring. It is beautiful. The white gold surrounds the diamond shaped heart and the ring itself is quite large. I try it on and it feels perfect. It feels like Darlene, it will fit with my other jewellery perfectly.

”That really fits you,” Matt says, standing really close to me.

”I like it. Can I have this one?”

Walking out of our town’s most recommended jewellery store wearing the engagement ring of my dreams feels so unreal. What if I never got pregnant? Would I be here today? Matt looks happy, and why wouldn’t he? He always knew who I was. And all that time I felt so unsure about him, it just refuses to leave my mind.

”We should plan an engagement party. It is almost Christmas, should we have one around then?” Matt asks me.

”That sounds lovely! I love Christmas, last year I celebrated it in Tokyo, that was an experience for sure.”

”We should have a family dinner as soon as possible so we can tell our parents the news.”

”Fine,” I say nervously. I am not really good with that kind of things but I must endure it for Matt’s sake. And our baby of course. I can’t escape into Darlene’s world this time.

-

I don’t know how many stores I’ve been to today. My legs and feet are tired and my back hurts. At least I am in a mall so I don’t have to go out on the streets. It is raining today and there is a storm warning tonight.

The family dinner is tomorrow and I must find the right dress to wear. Most things are just so boring. I will never find what I want to wear, I finally admit to myself.

I stand outside Darlene’s favourite designer store trying to get the confidence to enter the elegant shop. I finally step through the glass doors and take a deep breath and enjoy the silence in here. No customers are around and I can finally escape the stressful shoppers. The shop owner herself looks up with a polite smile when I slowly walk up to her. She is wearing a pink blouse and a white skirt and her blonde hair is in an elegant knot on her head. The middle aged woman still looks the same, but she can’t say the same about me.

”Mrs Wells,” I greet. ”I have a small crisis. I need something to wear for tomorrow.”

Her eyes gets big when she finally realises who I am.