11: IN THE CAVES OF WAR

PHOTO  -  Japanese cave bunker on Coastwatchers Hill WW2

**

Brad felt a thrill of excitement as they entered the labyrinth of caves on Coastwatchers Hill. The native boys led the way through a concrete bunker entrance, each holding a flashlight. Thrilled at the idea of such marvelous devices, they flashed them around the cave as quick as lightning strikes.

Jimmy and Clint followed behind them with the lanterns and Brad took up the rear, his spine tingling as he looked around. He'd parked the jeep in the small cave and they'd stolen through the jungle bush over to the war caves entrance. The native boys said it led into the main chambers of the underground.

It was dry and spacious inside. The flashing light beams exposed the height of the walls and ceilings, which appeared to be fifteen feet or so. They were shored up by thick wooden beams and in many areas by thick concrete pillars and walls. The enlargement of the pre-existing caves by the Japanese was obviously an engineering marvel. It was cooler inside but very dark. Brad wondered how the kanaka boys played inside without light.

A moment later his question was answered.

The older boy, whose name they'd learned was Chtupa, aimed his flashlight beam at the ground and started chattering expressively.

"Torches!" Brad exclaimed, looking at the wooden club-like items on the floor next to crates filled with supplies.

"They used them in here during the occupation," Jimmy said, after Chtupa had stopped speaking. "The kids use them now. Everything they need is here - fuel, tar, pitch, wooden matches. Ha! Instant underground playground."

"All kids love caves." Clint held his lantern high as he peered around. "And it's roomy in here. Nice. I wonder if there's any bats?"

Jimmy asked the boys the question as they moved along and the younger boy, Butubu, answered with a waving of his arms, flashlight beam swirling crazily.

"He says there's lots of them," Jimmy translated. "Hundreds. Thousands. But you don't see them very often. There are big furry ones, like flying foxes. He's afraid of them."

Brad shuddered. "Hell, I'd be too. We heard about those big bats on these islands. I hope we don't run into any."

The cave floor was hard and packed, as if thousands of men had made their way back and forth across it. Other tunnels led off here and there, winding away into darkness, Some had stairs cut into them, leading up and down to different levels. Trash of all kinds was strewn along the way, individual pieces here and there and crates filled with it stacked haphazardly along the sides.

"They sure left a mess," Brad grunted.

Jimmy nodded. "There were over a hundred thousand men in these caves at the height of the occupation. How the fuck did they feed them, keep them clean and doctor them? Especially when they were cramped in here for several years."