Devil's Assistant [30]

Chapter 29

Blinking away the bleariness from my eyes I felt much like a new-born taking in my first glimpse of the world. Only this wasn't the world I knew. As my vision cleared the world around me could only be described as otherworldly, soft hues of pinks, blues and greens intoned everything around me with a gentle pleasant atmosphere that immediately set me at ease. I felt nothing but peace and contentment. What were most striking of all were the big pearly gates glinting in the warm afternoon light.

What was more astounding was the glowing mass at the base of the gates. It was only as I stepped closer that I could actually make out the individual forms. Women, men and children all stood before the pearly gates, looks of peace and serenity plastered on each of their faces. Despite this I could feel an underlying sense of anticipation as they all stare raptly at the gates before them.

Taking steps closer, I soon became immersed in the crowd just waiting for something to happen like everyone else. It was weird, soon I couldn't think of anything else but getting through those gates and reaching the peace that had been promised to me, that taunted me by the sweet scents carrying on the gentle breeze.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" A deep melodious reached my ears and with a soft sigh I turned my head towards its owner. I was momentarily surprised by the man standing beside me. He was truly a sight to behold.

The man beside me was tall and powerful yet he didn't feel imposing or scary. It was a good kind of power. He was smiling softly down at me, like a grandfather proudly watching his granddaughter accomplish something though right at this moment I couldn't imagine what I had possibly done to earn that look. Wearing a pair of comfortable looking jeans and a pale blue shirt, the man who looked no more than 30 winked at me and tipped his Stetson in greeting.

"Greetings Miss Holmes," he smiled wide showing perfectly straight teeth. I opened and closed my mouth a few times, completely astounded that he knew my name which caused his eyes, which were an ever changing swirl of colour, to sparkle.

"H-how do you know my name?" I whispered which only caused the man to smile wide and let out a heart chuckle.

"I know everyone's name," he said through a chortle, his hand holding his gut as he did it making me think that if he had a large belly and a white beard he would look like Santa. Suddenly he turned serious and stared me in the eyes. "the important question is, do you know my name?"

I frowned at the stranger and for the life of me I could not come up with a name but as I looked to the pearly gates it kind of clicked. "GG-?" I didn't get to finish it because my lips were sealed shut and he winked at me cheekily.

"Not so loud, I don't want a fuss. I like watching what happens next without their attention being on me." I turned my head just in time to see the gates pull open and like a veil had been pulled back, a beautiful kingdom that showed promise of never ending love and peace, sprawled out before us all in the middle of a lush green valley. When I managed to pull my gaze away from the gates, I noted His eyes were raptly watching the faces of awe and joy as they walked through the gates into the Promised Land.

"Do you recognise any of these people?" He asked causing me to startle from my people watching. I glanced at him for a moment before turning my attention back to the people before me. And then I saw her.

Marianna wandered forwards towards the gates, more peaceful and happy than I could ever remember her being. As if she sensed my gaze on her, she glanced over her shoulder and gave me a hearty wave before continuing on. I smiled to myself. At least she was happy.

"do you know why I'm showing you this?" again I jumped which caused the man beside me to bark out another laugh.

"Because I'm dead?" I replied but my tone making it more like a question. It kind of looked like I was dead otherwise why would I be allowed to see the eternal resting place?