Graduation

CHAPTER 9: GRADUATION

The Cemetery

Natalie, Elena, Jeremy and Alaric weren't exactly the poster children for a normal family, and that was easily recognized through half of them being dead and them celebrating their reunion by eating lunch at the cemetery. As if it wasn't weird to eat next to ones own tombstone.

Alaric seemed to enjoy the food very much as he moaned at the taste with a full mouth, definitely having missed the joys of food when he was on the other side. "Mm. Oh, my god."

Natalie and Elena sat next to each other, seeing the boys sitting opposite of them as they laughed at their pure enjoyment of food. Natalie looked between them and spoke up. "Doesn't seem like there was too much grease on the other side."

"You have no idea how much I've missed this," Alaric smiled, he then held up a bottle of bourbon and his smile easily widened. "And this," but then the bottle was ripped out of his hands by none other than Elena Gilbert. "No, hey. Hey!"

The doppelganger took a swig anyway, and Natalie and Jeremy simply smiled at the interactions between the two, but Jeremy was the one who actually defended her actions. "She just got her humanity back. Let her live a little."

Natalie then grabbed the bottle, taking it away from Elena with a smirk, speaking up before taking a swig herself. "If she gets to live, then I get to live," another person then tried to take it away from her, but that person happened to be Jeremy so it wasn't going to happen. "Yeah, you wish."

Jeremy looked at her in playful annoyance, not understanding that even when he was dead he wasn't allowed to drink by either of his sisters. "I'm dead- what are they gonna do, throw me in juvie?"

"Well, at least you'd have a place to live." Alaric commented, casually reminded them that Natalie and Elena burnt their house to the ground.

The twins' mouths opened in shock, but they quickly just smiled and exchanged looks before they started throwing food at each of the guys, Natalie throwing bits of her sandwich at Alaric as Elena got some hits on Jeremy. "I hate you guys!" the reincarnation exclaimed playfully as she smiled widely. 

Elena had her own words for them as she smiled just as widely as her sister. "You both suck!"

Alaric smiled as they stopped throwing their food at them, seeing them actually smile so genuinely, not having remembered seeing them smile like that in a long time, he hadn't seen that smile on Natalie in particular since he died. "Hey! Now they are– those smiles. I wasn't sure we were gonna see them again."

Suddenly, Elena's smile didn't seem as happy anymore as her eyes started glistening, looking at the dead men that had once been such an important part of her life, who had no only seen her ruin it. "I did some pretty terrible things."

"Elena, you threw a party and killed one person. If it makes you feel better, I think I killed about twenty people when I was out of town. You killed one person. You don't have to feel guilty." Natalie tried to comfort her sister, seeing her on the verge of tears.

"What about those horrible things I said to you? I never should've said them because you're my sister and..." Elena hesitated for a moment, seeing as the two had never actually said those three words that family usually said to each other. "I love you."

"You don't have to feel guilty about that. I'm the new and improved Natalie and I'm not gonna let anyone get to me. You didn't get to me. You were a pretty amazing sister when you wanted to be. I love you. I'm proud of you. I'm proud of us." the younger twin responded, grabbing her sister's hand with a smile, her eyes seeming to glisten as well.