Eventual Betrayal

BLUDHAVEN - August 3rd

11:00AM

"My name is Vandal Savage. And I have a proposition for you..."

"What kind of proposition?" Desmond asked.

"One that could see you take your rightful place in this world. As a conqueror, a liberator and saviour..."

Desmond had no idea what he was going on about.

"No thanks, I'm not interested in being any of those things..."

Savage looked at Desmond with a shark-like smile, one that chilled Desmond's spine.

"Of course you do." he replied. "You are an evolution. A superior being. All superior beings desire to prove and cement their superiority before those weaker than them."

Desmond looked at him, not letting down his guard.

"And who might those inferior beings be?"

"Why, the Justice League of course!" Savage laughed.

Desmond couldn't understand what Savage was raving about. He was beginning to wonder if Savage was insane.

"Me?" Desmond asked. "I'm superior to THE JUSTICE LEAGUE?"

He scoffed.

"What makes you think that?"

"Because of their attitudes towards you."

Desmond's brow furrowed.

"Explain." he ordered.

Savage sighed and paced slowly as he explained himself.

"The Justice League are constantly keeping an eye on you, forcing you to complete tasks for them. With all people, testing someone and watching them from a close distance signifies fear. One can only be fearful of something when they believe themselves inferior to that something in question..."

"What a load..." Desmond retorted. "That doesn't make any sense."

Savage stopped and looked Desmond in the eye.

"Really?" he asked. "Then why do you think Batman is so distressed about the fact that he cannot enact a Contingency Plan on you?"

A chill went down Desmond's spine.

"Why is it that whenever your powers truly revealed themselves, that someone close to Batman was always with you? Because Batman was testing your mettle and the whole League with him!"

"Although," Savage noted. "Truth be told, I may have been testing you too. Not for such selfish reasons of course, but one can't be too careful..."

He looked at Desmond with a mock look of remorse.

"But I do believe you handled Sportsmaster and Klarion quite well, did you not?"
Desmond's eyes went wide with horror.

"And the Injustice League certainly proved to be worthy adversaries too..."

Desmond had been completely taken back by Savage's words. How could Savage had known about his missions?!

Then it hit him.

"You're the benefactor! The one who helped the Injustice League! Sportsmaster! Klarion too! They all came from you!!"

Desmond scowled and hunched down for an attack.

"All of that, just to test ME?!"

Savage smiled evilly again.

"Don't look so offended, Desmond..." Savage said. "I was simply being thorough..."

Desmond roared and flew at Savage with a fist raised. Savage blocked the attack with his right hand, catching Desmond with it.

His arm trapped, Desmond rolled in the air and slammed his foot into the side of Savage's ribs as hard as he could.