12

Marie put some kind of old recording device down on the coffee table that sat between us. I sat across from her with my hands held tightly in the other. She sat forward, no longer as relaxed as she had appeared in the dinning hall.

"State your name," she said. "And then your age."

"Remi. Thirteen."

"You are from the city?"

"Yes."

"Never before have you seen anything outside of the gates."

"No." The interrogation continued.

"Can you explain to me, quickly, the events that lead you here."

I explained about break rules to read in the library. About the old books I found and sharing my information with Archer once I felt like I was able to trust him. I told her about Macallister selecting me for testing and the night we escaped. She listened fully as if it wasn't just for the recording but also for herself as well.

"How did you feel about life in the city before you knew about us?"

"It felt strange. I have known for a while now that if I continued there I would more than likely be put to death. I was not very good at blending in."

"And why is that?" Marie asked.

"Because I moved faster than the others. I have never thought like the others. My teachers hated me."

"Because you learned quickly?" She said.

"Yes. And because I was obvious and open about it."

She smiled. "So before you came to us you were already paving your way to rebellion?"

"I guess you could say that," I shrugged.

"How do you feel about being here?"

"Relieved."

"Relieved? How?"

"You seem to like that I'm different. I do not see a gun to my face for my opinions."

"Would you like everyone in the city to feel as you do right now?"

"Yes."

"Would you do anything to see it happen?"

I thought for a minute before I decided. Would I be willing to do anything? "Yes."

Marie turned off the recording and leaned back in her seat. She looked me over in a cat like way before smiling.

"You know, I think I have a special place for you," she said softly. "But you will have to be sworn to secrecy. You can not even tell your friend Archer."

My eyebrows pulled together in a worried frown. Was it bad?

"Can you do that for me?" I nodded. "You see, Remi, while we have a free lifestyle here we still have order. I am the order. I watch and listen to the people. I am in charge. My husband and son share some of this power with me but I haven't seen anyone who could run it in a way I would be happy with in the future. But I think you could."

"Me?"

"Yes. I see me in you. I have built this way of life for a reason. The human race, body and mind, is not to be kept in cages. We are meant to create and learn. You see?"

I agreed.

"But I have built it not to just allow those who choose it to be this way. I want everyone to be this way. I want to over throw the cities standards and show them all what they are capable of. We have barely advanced in any way since the city was built, which is sad. Humans are meant to invent. I believe you want this too."