Chapter 16

Elizabeth's breathing steadied as she awoke. Her eyes opened with the pace of a snail and she realised she was laying with someone.

She noticed the blazing fire of the Slytherin common room and her back ached with the feeling of sleeping on the emerald green sofa. She lifted her chin up and her curious eyes landed on a peacefully sleeping Tom.

His appearance alone took her breath away. She revelled in the sight of his pale skin, which contrasted with his dark almost curls, his defined jaw and cheekbones and mostly, his frosty blue eyes which unfortunately, Elizabeth couldn't see yet.

Snuggling closer to him, Elizabeth felt at home. A part of her still hated Riddle with a passion, but she couldn't deny that a part of her loved him with everything she had.

Tom's snores were light, almost incoherent. He was tired, undoubtedly, and Elizabeth felt relieved as she realised it was five am on a Saturday.

About twenty minutes later, Tom's strong arms tightened around Elizabeth's waist before disappearing completely.

"Oh my god, what have I done? What about when she-"

Tom realised Elizabeth was awake and covered his mouth with a hand, his cheeks flushing crimson. She burst into laughter as she hugged Tom, squeezing him tight.

"You're adorable," she commented between giggles.

Tom frowned, "No, I'm not."

He sat up, taking Elizabeth with him. Realising what she'd done, she pulled away. She coughed away the awkward atmosphere and asked, "Why were we like that?"

Last night's events flashed before her eyes as Tom explained that she'd fallen asleep after crying in his arms for about an hour. Elizabeth breathed out heavily as she reached her hand up to caress her neck.

Tom instantly looked at the ground. Elizabeth placed a hand on his knee, trying to get his attention. His gaze stayed attached to the ground in shame so she spoke instead, "It's okay, Tom. We all get carried away sometimes and you were just really pissed off."

Tom sighed, shaking his head. "I hurt you," he said quietly.

He pivoted to face Elizabeth, his cold blue eyes instantly meeting hers. He forced his glance away from her. He stared at her neck in a moment of self-hatred, then placed his hand on it.

"Forgive me," he begged as he gently pressed his lips at the base of her neck where the bruise was the darkest shade of purple, "Forget me."

"I do not forget," Elizabeth replied, remembering words that Tom had whispered to her a few nights before, "I forgive you."

Her breaths became irregular as Tom moved his soft lips away from her but he hovered there for a second, taking in the damage he'd done to the girl who made him capable of feeling.

He'd kissed her. It was only her neck, but it was enough to set Elizabeth's whole body ablaze, enough to make her heart race like a stallion.

"Tom..."

"Don't speak," Tom ordered her in the politest tone he could muster, "Just stay here. Like this."

Tom moved again, swinging his body so that Elizabeth was leaning against him. He was afraid that he was becoming someone he wasn't, someone driven by a woman alone. He was transforming into a man controlled by the existence of a girl; a boy who existed solely for that person.

For Tom Riddle, that girl was Elizabeth. For Elizabeth Marin, the boy she cared for more than life itself and the man who she would face death for was Tom Riddle.

And they were one in a whole; they were like the day and the night. They didn't exist alone.