CHAPTER NINETEEN

After serving detention with Fred, Eleanor would have liked to believe that there had been somewhat of a spark between them, but it didn't seem to go anywhere. Most days, Fred would greet her in the corridors or in class as he would any friend, whether it was a playful shove in passing or a high-five. It left Eleanor confused because between their letters and the time they had spent alone together during detention, she was certain they had been flirting with each other and didn't flirting usually lead to something else?

However, outside of their pranks, the twins were known to be rather friendly, so perhaps she had mistaken Fred's friendliness for something else? With little experience of dating, outside of her one failed date with Cedric over a year ago, Eleanor had no idea what to think or what to do. Of course, the answer would have been to approach Fred and ask him about his feelings towards her, but Eleanor could suddenly feel the overwhelming sense of embarrassment just thinking about such a scenario.

What if Fred really wasn't flirting with her? What if he was just being nice and wasn't looking for anything passed friendship? If she brought up something more, there was a possibility of her creating such an awkward situation that it left Eleanor with the idea of to just continue going with how things were. At least her feelings were safer that way.

But with Valentine's Day approaching, it seemed the idea of love was around every corner.

"Ugh, just look at them," Marnie huffed one day in the library, "they're so bloody happy. It makes me sick."

Partially glancing over her own shoulder, Eleanor followed Marnie's gaze to find an older couple across the way, nuzzling their noses together as they shared in a few whispers. Feeling her own cheeks flush, Eleanor quickly looked away and turned her focus back to her Transfiguration homework.

"And them being happy makes you sick because?"

Marnie dropped her chin onto the table with a pouty expression. "Because I want that. I want it so damn bad."

"I don't know, Marnie," Eleanor said, "the whole rubbing noses together thing seems a bit weird to me. But if you want- "

Suddenly, Marnie's eyes darted over in her direction as she shot her a look. "It's not the rubbing noses thing, Ellie. I want to be with someone."

"Marnie, we go through this every single year around Valentine's Day. For Merlin's sake, if you're not going to ask Cedric, then ask someone else to be your date! There are plenty of other boys in the castle. You have so many options to choose from!"

"But I don't want any of those other boys!" Marnie cried out. "I want him!"

Knowing that Marnie was referring to Cedric, she couldn't help but let out a heavy sigh. And while it pained her that she didn't have a way to really help Marnie in her situation, she also didn't want her friend to be making a scene. Especially when the librarian, Irma Pince, came walking around the corner, offering a warning look that said, "be quiet."