Chapter 12 - Girls and Their Horses

CHAPTER 12

CARLY

Maisy was gushing.

I was too antsy earlier in the week to keep my feelings about John bottled up, so I told her about my date with him the day after he asked me out. We didn't get to talk or text when I got home in the early hours of the morning, but on Saturday we decided to go grab an early lunch in town, where she was more than happy to badger me relentlessly for all of the juicy details.

I loved her, I really did, but at one point the girl could get on one's nerves.

I gave her what she wanted to hear however, feeling like a teenage girl again talking about her crush. I told her about the picnic and the dancing, unable to contain my giddiness. I was probably smiling like a damn idiot.

"That's so romantic!" Maisy giggled, propping her elbows on the table and leaning in a little closer. "Did he kiss you? Is he good at it?" she asked.

For the first time in my life, there was something I didn't want to tell Maisy about. My first kiss with John was something very private that belonged to us. Of course, my burning, scarlet face was a dead giveaway of what had indeed happened, so I didn't even need to say the words for her pretty face to light up.

"Aww, that's so great! I'm so happy for you. You need a little bit of love in your life... all alone like a hermit up at that ranch of yours," she grinned.

"I'm not a hermit," I protested, shaking my head defiantly. "I'm always outdoors, and it's not like I'm lonely all the time either... My Uncle Scott and Dale are always comin' in and out... plus I've got kids comin' around for ridin' lessons a couple times a week," I argued.

"I was just teasin', no need to get all defensive," Maisy smirked.

I smiled at her and took a sip of my tea. She was right though, in a sense. It was pretty lonely on that big old plot of land all by myself, so things were definitely a whole lot more exciting ever since John came rolling into the driveway a couple weeks ago.

It was nice to have someone to cook for and talk to over meals, or even just to see his truck parked in the driveway or his tall frame coming in and out of the barn.

"So are ya gonna ask him to the weddin' next weekend?" she asked me with a knowing smile.

"Oh God... I don't know..." I murmured, running my fingers through my hair. "We've already set up the seats and-"

"Oh come on, I'm the damn bride, I can add a seat if I wanna," she rolled her eyes, reaching for my hand in the middle of the table. "...and as my maid of honor, you've got to do as I say... so I say you ask John as your date to the weddin'! It'll be fun! Besides, I really wanna meet him."

I wasn't sure. It was still way too early to be attending weddings together, like we were a couple or something... which we weren't... yet. Then again, he'd never gone to one before so maybe Maisy was right: maybe it could be fun.

I did want a reason to dance with him again...

When I got home a little later, I changed into a pair of jeans and a gray sweater: clothes I didn't mind getting dirty while out riding. I pulled on my riding boots and pulled my hair up into a ponytail.

I made my way down to the stables, walking towards the end of the corridor and stopping in front of the stall of an old chestnut mare.

"Hey crazy girl," I grinned, resting my fingers on Lady's forehead and stroking her gently. She used to belong to my mother. Years ago my father bought her at an auction for their first wedding anniversary.