Chapter 13 - The Maid of Honor

CHAPTER 13

CARLY

The week before Maisy's wedding was absolutely nut balls crazy, filled with all of these last-minute details that needed to be sorted out. Maisy was rather calm and collected these last few months, but now that crunch time was upon us, I could see cracks in her façade. She was really nervous.

We were pretty busy, so I was grateful I had John to take care of everything while I found myself going to and from Maisy's house. My uncle and cousin also dropped by a few times to help out, but for the most part John was running the show.

I felt kind of bad to be putting so much on his shoulders, especially with Juno so close to delivering her foal and Lady still acting a little off. He was good at it though, and I trusted him with the ranch and the horses... which wasn't something I could say about a whole lot of people.

"What are you doin' on Saturday?" I asked him at dinner one evening halfway through the week, three days before Maisy's big day.

"Nothin' too much," John shrugged, cutting up his steak and popping a piece in his mouth. "You got somethin' in mind?" he asked after a few moments.

"You feel like goin' to a weddin'?" I suggested, feeling a little nervous.

"Maisy's?" he asked.

"Yeah," I told him.

"And the weddin' is this Saturday?" he inquired, his eyebrows shooting up underneath his Rangers cap. "As in three days from now Saturday? You realize I don't own a suit right?" he chuckled.

"Oh, okay, well if you don't wanna come that's fine; I just figured I'd ask... I kind of wanted an excuse to dance with you again," I said with a nervous laugh, trying to downplay my disappointment.

"I didn't say I didn't wanna come," he smirked, leaning back into his seat. "I'll find a suit... I'll figure it out," he added.

"Really, are you sure?" I asked.

"I'm sure," he smiled. "Dancin' with you sounds like a nice way to spend my birthday," he shrugged.

I stared at him.

"Wait, Saturday is your birthday – seriously? Why didn't you say anythin' sooner? I could have–" I began, but he interrupted me with a shrug and a wave of his hand.

"It ain't a big deal Carly... and don't you go makin' it a big deal... it's just another day on the calendar," he shrugged, looking dead serious.

"Oh come on, it's your birthday!" I grinned, shaking my head defiantly. "You're gonna have to get used to me makin' a fuss over stuff like that if you're gonna be stickin' around," I told him.

"So I've got no choice in the matter then, huh?" he chuckled.

"Not in the slightest," I grinned.

"Alright, fine, you're the boss..." he sighed dramatically.

He was way too cute right now.

"Damn right I am," I giggled.

We spent the next few minutes finishing our plates in silence, exchanging glances every once in a while and grinning whenever we caught each other looking. He finished first and brought his dishes to the sink, turning to face me when I followed after him shortly after.

"No blowin' out candles or nothin' cheesy like that though," he warned, taking the plate and utensils from my hands and putting them down with his own in the sink.