Chapter 3 - Body Shots

"Willow!" He replied happily, leaning in to give me a hug.

"Did you just transfer here?" I asked but then noticed the time and without giving him the chance to reply I spoke again. "I got to get to class but we'll talk later, yeah?"After we said our goodbyes I slipped into class just as the bell sounded.

AP Math went by painfully slowly, and consisted mostly of the teacher telling us how likely it is that most of us will fail her class. Seventy five minutes after my encounter with Christian, the bell finally rang and to say I was relieved is an understatement. Despite being lectured the entire class, I couldn't help but think about the run-in with Christian, and I'd be lying if I said zero part of me hoped Slate had transferred to SSHS as well.

When I arrived in second period and saw that all the seats in the class were occupied except two at the back of the class, I realized that deciding to take a bathroom break before second period had been a bad mistake. I hated sitting at the back of the class because I have horrible long distance vision and I always forget to wear my contacts. Despite what I do during the night, school was different, I needed to do well if I wanted to get away from my parents and stop depending on their money. I took the seat closest to the window and stared out of it, watching two squirrels play together as I waited for the bell to ring.

"I didn't know it was possible for someone to stare at two squirrels fighting for 15 minutes and find it fascinating." A voice said from behind me, causing me to turn abruptly in my seat. I new who the voice belonged to even before I saw that dark hair and perfect jawline that made me swoon even without alcohol in my system.

"They're playing, not fighting." I said trying to keep my cool by letting a small smile form on my lips instead of jumping up in excitement like I wanted to do. Geez Willow, get your sh*t together. You've never reacted like this towards a guy before. Well except Bradley Cooper, but that man could make any girls panties drop with one look.

"Perspective is a funny thing." He replied simply as he turned back towards the board. I was getting the feeling that there was more to him then I had initially thought.

Fifteen minutes had gone by since mine and Slate's small encounter and I was finally starting to concentrate on what the teacher was saying when I heard a desk sliding across the concrete floor closer to mine, effectively distracting me.

"What's up?" I asked turning to Slate who's desk was now directly beside mine. I made sure to talk quietly but it didn't matter all that much because our teacher was pushing 65 and didn't seem to hear much nowadays.

"Wanna play a game?" He asked, completely ignoring my question. I nodded curiously, there was something about Slate that excited me and it had to do with that trouble making persona I was dangerously attracted to.

"Ok it's called 'let's ditch class and go on an adventure'." He said an irresistible smile forming on his face.

"This is only the second class of the year." I answered although we both knew by the growing smile on my face that it was a yes anyways.

Slate got up first and took the unconventional approach to ditching class which was, just, well... walking out. He left poor old Mrs. Lavender a bit stunned but she eventually shrugged her shoulders and continued the lecture she'd been giving.

After a few minutes she had a student hand out worksheets to the class as she went and sat down at her desk. I grabbed my stuff and made my way over to her, deciding now was the best time to try and get out of class.

"I'm not feeling so well," I told Mrs. Lavender, rubbing my temple as if I had a migraine. She immediately nodded in understanding and even offered to let the principle know I'd gone home for the rest of the day if I wanted. I accepted her offer gratefully and she gave me a pass to leave.