Mismatched Compatibility (6)

Dana:

After retouching my make-up and a serious one-on-one pep talk in front of the mirror in the ladies room, I went back to join Cher and her middle-aged friends.

“I’m quite curious,” Belle said to me as soon as I returned to my seat. “How did you and Ethan meet?”

Okay, what do I say to that?

That guy and I haven’t properly talked about our supposed love life’s background. Even if we did attempt to think of something, our ideas would just clash. And then, we would end up bickering. I wasn’t quite sure I was up for that.

We fought enough as it is, I thought.

I realized all eyes were on me, waiting for me to answer the question. Should I just make up a story? This was bad. I didn’t exactly have a creative mind.

“Pardon me, ladies,” a deep voice piped in.

Our heads turned toward the sound of the voice. If truth be told, I didn’t have to look to see who the masculine voice belonged to. My eyes found him, nonetheless.

“Ethan, how nice to see you,” said Rose. “You’ve grown.”

He didn’t even bother to hide his skeptical expression as he rolled his eyes at the lady. Crudely, I might add.

“I see you haven’t changed,” remarked Evelyn disapprovingly.

He looked at her. “You managed to conclude that within five seconds, Mrs. Montgomery?” he asked, smiling – even though it didn’t reach his eyes. “I’m impressed.”

There was the tiniest hint of sarcasm in his voice, so it was more like he was innocently asking the question rather than insulting her. With the look on the women's faces, they weren’t sure on how to interpret what he said because his expression was unreadable.

My lips twitched, daring to smile.

Ethan’s sarcasm was advanced. I was very impressed.

But that still didn’t change the fact that he was the most judgmental person I had ever had the chance to meet. No one had ever lowly stereotyped me like he did a while ago. It was absolutely nerve-wracking.

“Ethan,” called Cher, raising an eyebrow. “Will you care to enlighten us why you interrupted our conversation?”

“Right,” said Ethan, clearly oblivious to his mother’s tone. “I'm rescuing my girl from all the fakeness. Don't want her to get contaminated, you know.”

My eyes snapped up to him, but he didn't meet my gaze.

He's rescuing me . . . ?

“What do you mean by that?” asked Cher suspiciously.

I noticed a crooked smile slowly form on Ethan's lips.

“You perfectly know what I mean, Mom,” he stated darkly.

I wasn't sure . . . but I thought I saw Cher's lips twitch at what Ethan said.

“Besides,” he continued, “I miss her.” He wore a soft expression on his face as he said that, but he still didn't look at me.

“Awe, how sweet,” commented Rose, getting carried away by Ethan's charm.

I forced back a grimace. She was too old for him, really. I wondered if Ethan would go for older women.

“Go on, then,” beamed Belle, waving us away. “Enjoy your youth.”

Ethan looked at Cher, as though asking for permission.