Prologue.

"Grunkle Stan... I trust you."

Stanley had his twin back, the world had not been destroyed, Stanford could rebuild his life. Mabel was alive. But those words cut too deeply into Dipper's heart. She chose Stan over her own twin. Picking through the rubble of the basement he only just learned existed he found the journals. "Dipper." He felt Mabel's hand on his shoulder and heard her voice but it felt so distant. "Isn't this great? You found the Author!"

"Oh, yeah, sure." That was something to look forward too, right? But somehow no matter how he looked at it, the whole Author business now didn't seem as important as it once had, nothing did. He stood beside Mabel, smiled at the two somewhat identical men before him. Pretended the complete and utter betrayal dealt by his other half hadn't hurt at all. She seemed oblivious to how much of a big deal that was to him. Though now he thought about it she'd always been oblivious to his feelings, it shouldn't have come as so much of a shock. He held the journals to his chest as if they were his only anchor to the world, a hollow feeling growing where his heart should have been. Even if he'd planned on Stanford being his distraction from the pain, the man refused to make time for him or his questions. Dipper lay on his bed wide awake, when he heard Mabel roll over to face him he closed his eyes.

"Dipper... You don't think we'll turn out like Stan and Ford do you?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" He replied.

"I mean, they used to be best friends and then they got all stupid. Can you promise me you won't get stupid?" He turned at looked at her, her eyes always made it hard to stay angry.

"Not stupider than you, dumb dumb."

"Hahaha, goodnight stupid."

"Goodnight stupid."

But as smiled faded and laughter ceased, as he watched her fall asleep that sharp feeling of hurt crept back. He stared at the roof replaying the moment his heart cracked over and over again. Each time he did a bit of his heart chipped away.

"Stupid..."