Chapter 3

After Ryder's visit, I just couldn't stay focused. I think about all the possible outcomes of this situation. After a couple minutes I decide that the worst one would be that Ryder forces me back into the pack now that I have his child. Another horrible outcome would be Ryder tortures my life more, and I would be forced to leave the place I've been calling home for these past four years.

I don't want to leave this town. I have just gotten used to calling this place home, I can't change that. Imagine the struggle for Carter. He would have to change schools and have to make new friends.

Even with all these thoughts on my mind, I somehow finish all my work for the day at about 6:30. I turn off my computer and put all my stuff away for the day, and then I go in search for my son. Of course I see him with Sandy again, but this time he's playing with some blocks.

"C'mon Carter, tell Aunty Sandy bye, it's time to go home." I tell him sweetly.

He smiles, putting the blocks away and runs over to Sandy and gives her a hug. She hugs him back and then stands to hug me, and also whispers something in my ear, "If there is any trouble with the D.A.D, feel welcome to come stay at my house as long as you like. You know that Bert loves Carter." She says.

I smile, "Thank you, Sandy. I'm just hoping it doesn't come down to that." I say, forcing a smile.

She smiles back, "I know dear, but if it does, my door is always open to you and Carter."

I nod again, then take Carter's hand as we exit the bank. We get to the car and I open the backdoor and put Carter in his car seat, and buckle him in. I walk around the car and sit in the drivers seat, and turn on the car. But just as I'm about to drive away, someone knocks on my window.

I jump in fright, but I hear Carter say, "Momma, it's the man from the bank."

I sigh, and look out the window to see, who else, Ryder.

I roll my eyes, and then crack the window. "What do you want Ryder?" I ask, annoyed.

"I just want to talk, please" he says, almost begging.

I'm shocked that he's begging, he never begs. I mean, he's an alpha, what could he beg for. To see his son, my conscience says.

I sigh, then turn around to Carter, "Mommy's gonna talk for a minute. Say in the car," I say.

"Yes momma," he replies to me, but then becomes interested in his superman toy.

I roll up the window before I step out of the car, closing the door behind me. I turn around and face Ryder, while leaning on my car door, using my body to block Ryder's view of Carter. He has no right to look at my son.

"So what do you want to talk about?" I ask, already over this conversation.

Ryder looks between me and Carter, who is playing with his superman toy in the car, "Is he.......is he mine?" He asks, stuttering.

I roll my eyes, "Really Ryder? Are you really asking me that question. Carter looks exactly like you. Who's else's could he be?" I say, annoyed he can't even identify his own son.

He shakes his head, "But that's not possible, because if he's my child, then you...." He starts, but I cut him off.

"Oh. So you're now just realizing that I never cheated on you. I told you that, 4 years ago, you wouldn't listen." I say.

"Kara, I'm so...." He starts again.

"Save it Ryder. I don't want your stupid apology. I'm done with you, I'm done with all of this. You told me to get lost and I did, so stop trying to find me." I say and turn around, about to get into my car, but Ryder grabs my arm, spins me and pins me to my car, facing him.