CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

For the last few days, Margaret had locked herself away in her home, debating on how to handle the situation regarding Eleanor. She would admit as soon as she learned of Sirius Black running loose among the wizarding world and other things that Anne informed her about, Margaret had been absolutely furious. It was evident in the letter she had sent to Eleanor, one that she had scribbled down as she swore under her breath profusely. She didn't know what caused her heart to beat faster, a murderous wizard or the fact that the year before students had been attacked within the castle.

However, once Margaret had a chance to calm down, she realised it was the fact that Eleanor would rather take her chances of facing dangerous situations than confide in her own mother. It was a painful reminder of all the damage that had fallen upon their relationship, due to no one fault's but her own. And several hours after she had sent the letter, Margaret deeply came to regret it as she suddenly felt overwhelmed with guilt.

A quick glance at the pictures that decorated the mantle over the fireplace, Margaret could clearly see that Eleanor wasn't smiling in any of the photographs. Even the pictures of Eleanor as a baby, where she didn't have a care in the world, she looked miserable. It wasn't a secret that Eleanor was miserable within her own home, she was always so quiet when it was time to return from school. And as soon as she walked into the house, she excused herself to her bedroom where she would spend most of her time, writing back and forth to her friends or knitting.

She remembered how happy Eleanor had looked upon arriving at the Diggory Household over the holidays, that was until she saw Margaret and the smile had quickly faded. Thankfully, they had been able to start mending their relationship as Margaret made the promise to do better and be there for her daughter. But after the letter she had sent, Margaret felt as though she had just taken a million steps back.

A light tap came from the nearby window, bringing Margaret to break from her thoughts as she glanced over to see a window. Pushing herself up, Margaret approached the window and opened it, grabbing the letter that was quickly dropped. She kept the window open to allow the owl to rest as Eleanor often told her to do.

After what Margaret had said in her last letter, she didn't expect a letter from Eleanor, but she had been hoping for one. However, as she looked over the letter that was addressed to her, Margaret could clearly see that it was not her daughter's handwriting. Curiosity got the best of her at the moment, as she tore the top of it off.

Inside was a lengthy letter that started off with an apology.

Immediately, her eyes trailed over the letter to the bottom where it had been signed by the sender. As soon as she read over the name, Margaret knew she needed to sit down or she was bound to collapse onto the floor. With one hand holding the letter, the other came to cover her mouth, although it did little to conceal her shock.

For years, she had waited on such a letter, prayed for it many times and now that she had finally received it, she didn't know what to say or what to do, except read it over and over.