Chapter 4

Santos scrambled in the dark as his heart thumped with fear and his forehead dripped with sweat.

Where. Was. Blanca.

He looked all around, screaming her name as loud as he could, but there was no answer. The island was silent save for Santos' beating heart. He replayed the previous night's events over and over in his mind. One moment, he was holding his beloved in his arms and the next-- she was gone. Had she been detained? Kidnapped again? Or worse... killed?

For three days and three nights, Santos did not eat, bathe or sleep--he merely searched and called out Blanca's name. It was only when he walked directly into a palm tree, because he was so tired, that he allowed himself to close his eyes.

After a brief siesta, Santos awoke to find the island was undergoing an unbearable heat wave. Before starting up his search, he walked over to the waterfall to cool himself down--the same waterfall in which he and Blanca made love under just a few days before. Santos splashed the cool water on his hot face, and then, he looked down at his reflection.

"What will you do, El Presidente?" Santos said to himself.

"I don't know, El Presidente," he said back to himself.

Just then, Santos heard footsteps, and he looked up to find a man standing above him. Santos squinted as he looked into the man's eyes--partly, because the sun was right behind his head--but also, he seemed to recognize him.

"I'm sorry to intrude," the man said, with a warm smile. "I was going to take a dip in the water, but I'll return later."

He started to walk away, but Santos stopped him.

"Excuse me," Santos said. "Do we have the same nose?"

The man turned around, confused.

"Come again?"

Santos stood up and stared at the man's face. Indeed, they had the same nose, eyebrows, and fantastically high cheekbones.

"What is your name?" Santos said.

"Leonardo," the man answered.

At that moment, Santos and Leonardo both gasped, realizing the truth.

"Father? Is that you?" Leonardo asked, his voice quivering.

"Leonardo! My long-lost son!" Santos screamed, going in for a hug.

Ah, yes. You see, Leonardo was taken from Santos when he was only a child, after Santos cheated on Leonardo's mother with her half-sister's half-sister. After the affair, neither Santos nor Leonardo knew where the other one had ended up, but they both dreamed they would reunite one day. Leonardo, in particular, knew nothing about his father; before his mother died, she told him to never speak of Santos, for he ruined her relationship with her half-sister's half-sister-- and with her half-sister.

After a few minutes of hugging and some joyful tears, Leonardo explained that he had lived on Tigrititi Island all his life, and he wanted to introduce Santos to his wife and children! Santos agreed, and then explained how he wound up on this island, why he was dressed as a pirate, and how he was searching for his beloved, Blanca. Leonardo insisted that Santos stay at his house while he searched for Blanca, which Santos gratefully accepted. It was at this moment that Leonardo asked what Santos did for a living. Santos paused, and then casually stated that he was the President of North Ecuaduras.

Leonardo's jaw dropped. "I'm related to the President of North Ecuaduras?"

Santos nodded with pride. What perfect timing for him to re-meet Leonardo! Reuniting with his long-lost son was about the only thing that could lift his spirits right now.