useless apologies

SWEATER WEATHER AGH

.

When I reached homeroom, it was safe to say that Ethan Campbell wouldn't bother me ever again.

He came up to me after everyone left, looking terrified like I'd fuck him up. "I'm sorry about being lewd towards you and displaying inappropriate behavior towards you. Can you forgive me?"

"Um, yes?"

He bolted out, petrified to look back.

What the hell just happened?

.

I headed to English (still caught off-caught guard by the previous events) and saw a long-legged figure sitting in the desk besides me.

"Why are you sitting here?" I asked, not hiding my annoyance at his new seating.

"Mrs. Roshan told me to," he answered, the phantom of a smile haunting his lips.

"I doubt that," I mumbled, pulling out my English notebook and sketchbook that I could busy myself with once I got bored of learning about Greek gods.

"What was that, Bambi?"

"Just stop calling me Bambi," I muttered, weary of even the few words that we'd exchanged.

"If you say please."

"I don't say please. It's reserved for people I like," I answered as I flipped to a untouched page in my sketchbook.

"That's not very nice, Bambi."

Even though he had saved me from nearly being assaulted- which I was thankful for and still moving past- it was just that he always seemed to get on my nerves.

These past two weeks of freedom from the subjection of Leo's banter had been so nice. So quiet.

"I pride myself in that," I muttered- in a tone that was more similar to defeat than triumph- as Mrs. Roshan strolled into the room.

His subtle smile was the only evidence I had that he'd heard.

I didn't say any more to Leo, nor did he. My mind kept wandering to how scared Ethan had been and his apology.

Why did he say sorry like that out of the blue?

.