Chapter Fifty Two

Chapter Fifty Two

Lienna

My reflection in the black-tinted glass was incredibly blank for someone whose mind was filled to its capacity. The gentle hum of the van's engine nearly lulled me to sleep as it sped along a secret road, and the only thing keeping me awake was the biting terror of seeing my husband again.

It had been three weeks since I was first "reunited" with him; three weeks of a dull pain in my stomach from the overwhelming amount of fear and three weeks of near solitude in a world that was not my own. Midgard was not nearly as advanced as Asgard was; the people were cruel and everything scared and confused me.

These were thoughts that plagued me incessantly, even more so now that the few of us in the back of the vehicle were dead silent. Loki had finally been pinned down after a three-week long torrent of strategic destruction, and we neared him with every passing minute.

In preparation for this confrontation, an incredibly fit and talented woman named Natasha fine tuned what few combat skills I had and hastily taught me how to use Midgardian weapons in case the need arrived. The plan was for me to arrive at a party that Loki was believed to be attending, and get his attention. Once I had his eyes on me, I was to signal to the Avengers to infiltrate the building and do what they planned to contain Loki. From there, Thor and I could escort him back to Asgard.

To me, the plan didn't seem incredibly well thought out, but of course, I was an "alien" and therefore not to be trusted completely.

Clint suddenly became alert, listening intently to the earpiece he had been given. "Two minutes until we arrive. Lienna, this would be a good time to put on the dress."

I nodded, picking up the sleek black gown I was given. Less than a minute later, I reappeared from the makeshift dressing room they had prepared in the dress. My stress levels increased significantly the moment I put it on. You can do this, Lienna.

The van pulled to a stop, and Steve helped me out. He was the only true gentleman of the group of heroes, a man that I had gained respect for in the few days I had known him.

"Are you feeling okay?" he asked quietly.

I nodded. We both knew it was an obvious lie, but in tense moments such as these, everyone knew the truth.

Thor stopped me before I officially started the mission. "Lienna, though Loki is your husband, he is in an altered state of mind. He is incredibly dangerous and incredibly reckless. You may want to be sympathetic with him, but you must not comply with him. Your objective is more important than your feelings."

I nodded again, swallowing hard. Then, I joined my escorts for the night, two men in suits. I was politically powerful for the evening, and I had a right to be at the event. My head was held high with confidence, filling with Natasha's strategy of how to become someone I was not.

I was no longer Lienna, the clumsy Chosen girl.

I was no longer Lienna, the exhausted princess.

I was Lienna, the woman with power, with grace and eloquence, with a terrifying beauty.

The guards at the door allowed us into the party without a hitch. Once inside, my escorts left to secure the area and I was alone surrounded by strangers from a completely different planet. The Lienna I left outside would have been utterly panicked, but I was no longer her.

I smiled and greeted everyone who greeted me with charm and grace, taking glasses of whatever drink they enjoyed at parties. I spoke lies about a life I never lived on Midgard. I discussed politics I had never heard of with men I would have run from.