Chapter Twenty Four

The next morning, Lauren woke up next to Camila, her arm draped over her warm stomach, and her head on her shoulder. Her smile turned into a frown when she remembered the younger girl was sick. She thought back to earlier in the night realizes that she only heard the girl cough out a few times. Lauren looked up at Camila and felt her forehead, frowning at the heat that she felt against her hand.

"Poor baby." She whispered to herself, getting out of their cozy bed to crack another ice pack for the younger girl. Lauren walked back over to her and rubbed her cheek lovingly. She felt bad for her girlfriend. The fresh ice pack was placed on her head after being wrapped in a napkin and Lauren removed one of the two blankets Camila had on her, hoping to cool off her body a little.

The green eyed girl climbed back in bed next to her girlfriend and opened up the Sudoku book she bought for her the day before. Lauren leaned over to get a pen and chewed on the cap as she looked at the numbers in front of her.

After completing five of the puzzles, Lauren looked over at Camila and saw her stirring. The older girl turned over to watch her, ready to grab the ice pack if it fell off of her forehead. Once the girls' brown eyes came into view, Lauren smiled at her. Camila returned a soft smile, squinting her eyes as she did so.

"Good morning, sweets. How are you feeling?" Lauren asks, rubbing the top of her hand.

Camila sighs, sitting up slightly. "Kinda like shit." She laughs.

"Baby." The older girl frowns. "Is there anything I can get you? Are you hungry? Do you want some medicine? Is it too hot, too cold?" She asks.

"I just want to sleep." Camila tells her, getting back into her previous position.

Lauren nods. Rest would be best. "Let me put some more Vicks on your chest before you go back to sleep. It really helped last night, you barely coughed." The girl crawled over to where she left the jar of Vicks and opened it up. Camila sat forward to pull her shirt over her head. Lauren removed the washrag from her chest and rubbed more Vicks on her skin. She placed the rag back over the spread and helped the younger girl put her shirt back on. "Goodnight, Camz."

"Goodnight, Laur." Camila replied, turning on her stomach and hugging her pillow.

For the rest of the morning and well into the afternoon, Camila was asleep. Lauren had to keep herself busy alone and it was really hard. She tried playing board games with herself but it wasn't quite possible. Next, she tried drawing but she couldn't find any inspiration because her muse was asleep. She didn't want to watch a movie because it wouldn't be as funny while Camila was asleep so she resorted to reading. Even reading seemed boring without her girlfriend lying in her lap, reading a book of her own. Lauren didn't realize how boring life was without Camila by her side.

Well, she WAS by her side, but it was almost as if she wasn't there at all. It had only been a couple of hours but it felt like her old, boring, pre-Camila life was back. When she was sitting around all day doing nothing. Camila brought so much happiness and excitement and adventure into her life that Lauren didn't realize until now. Lauren rolled over in bed and hugged her girlfriend, kissing her head.

Sometime in the late afternoon, Camila woke up and called out for Lauren. The girl walked over to the bed and smiled. "Hi, baby girl."

"Hi. Will you lay with me?" She asked quietly.

Lauren climbed back in bed to wrap her arms around the girl. "I missed you." She told her, rubbing her cheek against the side of Camila's head.

"I've been right here, Laur." The younger girl chuckled slightly.